Dented Headpipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dented Headpipe

I dented my headpipe coming off a driveway a little too fast. My header is in almost new shape so I was wanting to at least take out the high spot in the dent. Any suggestions as to how this can be done?

That's a question a lot of us would like an answer to!!

I've got 3 smashed headers in my garage right now (and all discontinued models).....

I've heard some theoretical fixes, but the only sure-fire thing I can think of is to take it to a metal shop and have the dent cut out, then patched. But for multiple dents or flattened pipes, I'm imagining that it would take quite a bit of fabrication....

-Q!

Comment

It would be cool if we could run a Kevlar airbladder in the shape of a tube through the pipes and inflate them huh? Too bad nobody makes such a beast...
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T
      http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

I actually had something like that in mind. It's only 1 dent so maybe heat the pipe with a torch, pound a dowel a little smaller than the ID of the headpipe into the headpipe and take down the high spot in the dent. It doesn't have to be perfect sinc the dent is on the underside of the bike, just remove some of the restriction. I just didn't want to proceed until I got some sage advice from you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by RJ
          I actually had something like that in mind. It's only 1 dent so maybe heat the pipe with a torch, pound a dowel a little smaller than the ID of the headpipe into the headpipe and take down the high spot in the dent. It doesn't have to be perfect sinc the dent is on the underside of the bike, just remove some of the restriction. I just didn't want to proceed until I got some sage advice from you guys.
          I thought up the same method :-D still have to try it though, maybe you should go first.

Comment

cap the ends, fill it with water and freeze it. The expanding water forces the dent out.

Comment

Originally posted by spyderrocs
              cap the ends, fill it with water and freeze it. The expanding water forces the dent out.

Ummmmm........... N O !

There is no way to guarantee where the ice will expand first, last, or most, except that it will likely occur at the weakest point, and that is not necessarily where you can see the damage.

That said, if the pipe is otherwise unuseable, why not?

I am curious with this, however. Short of welding on metal parts, how can you cap the ends so securely that the the steel pipe is expanded before the ice pushes off the caps?
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

thats how we useto fix our nitro r/c cars muffler and headers. So i was just assuming it would work on a fullsize too.

Comment

Originally posted by spyderrocs
                  thats how we useto fix our nitro r/c cars muffler and headers. So i was just assuming it would work on a fullsize too.
                  I am not saying it will not work....the idea is good, and I know it CAN work, but I don't see how to regulate where the pressure will be most effective, while avoiding possible problems elsewhere. Some of these bikes have double walled pipes, so it would be nice to be pretty sure of where the ice would have its greatest effect.

Also, I am curious as to how you make it work.

How do you seal the ends to hold back water and ice?
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I have heard that some shops use a ball on a wire the exact size of the id of the pipe, then draw it through with force. Dunno...
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If ice will work then theoretically so would air pressure.

Comment

It's a V&H megaphone header so there's only one wall. I just kills me because other than that one dent the header is almost brand new. Word to the wise on the GSXR wheel/front end conversion thing, WATCH YOUR GROUND CLEARANCE.

Comment

Cap (duct tape) the end closest to the dent. fill it full of sand and use dowel rod just small enough to slip in the pipe. The trick here is to only fill it with enough sand to go an inch or two over the dent. Use a propane or other low temp torch to heat the dent. Use a rubber mallette to hit the end of the dowel rod.

That's how I fixed mine.

Comment

Give this guy a shout. He fixes four stroke headers and classic pipes along with his mainstay which is 2 stroke exhaust systems. $50 + S&H. One day service. Work is guaranteed. Pacific Crest Pipe Repair.

http://www.piperepair.com/
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2006, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X