Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOW- Wal mart carb cleaner (supertech- the cheapest they have)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW- Wal mart carb cleaner (supertech- the cheapest they have)

I am absolutely amazed.

I bought a 81 gs 850 g. When I went to look at it, there was year old varnish in the tank. It would not run. I got it for a better price because of it. I drained the varnish and filled it with fresh gas and put 1 oz of walmart carb cleaner (I'm not talking the expensive but the $1. and change a bottle stuff). I have since put 1100 miles on the bike, changed the oils, air filter, etc (about 500 miles ago). Every tank 1 ounce of cleaner.

Well, I just rode the bike again and I am amazed that it still keeps running better and better. It idles very smooth, starts with a bump of the switch, and runs with more power every tank. I would say that the 25 year old bike almost runs like new. I should do a commercial for the stuff!

Because of the stuff, I did not ever clean the carbs. I am amazed at the power the bike has.

I just wanted to pass on the word, if you need the carbs cleaned and do not want to attempt it, try this stuff. You will be happy with the results.

Wally is not paying me either!

Just wondering about putting the cleaner right in the tank, will this start degrading the gaskets and other fittings that are not metal along the fuel path?

Comment

I've been running some STP fuel injector and Carb cleaner in the bike since I got it running. I never took the carbs off. I'm experiencing similar results, but I'm skeptical if it was actually the cleaner or just the riding it.

Comment

So far I have not had any signs of leaks so I think the carb cleaner is ok for it. I do not plan on running this in it forever, as a matter of fact the next tank will be plain gas.
        As for the coincidence, I do not think that mine is coincidence with just running it more as there is less backfiring and more power. This did not happen over night but slowly better each tank. At first it was backfiring alot now not at all. I tried it after the second tank without the cleaner and the back firing came back.

Comment

There could be a simple explanation why your bike does not backfire with the treatment and does without it. Most fuel injector/carb cleaners contain ketones that actually raise the octane rating of the fuel that they are in. Some common additives are acetone, MEK, etc. The levels are not enough to eat the rubber parts of the carbs, but a little goes a long way. Also, what octane do you put in your bike? I have found that mine doesn't like anything but premium. Anything lower gives me poor performance and pinging, maybe something is wrong with my ride, I don't know, but it runs much better with higher octane. Just a few thoughts on the subject:-D
          J.C.

Comment

I run 87 octane. I'll post when I fill up next how it is without the carb cleaner.

Comment

octane rating

Owners manual recommends 85-95 octane R+M over 2 method or 89 octane or higher rated by the research method. I run premium in my 850 and it seems to like it better.
              80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Maybe for a little over a dollar, I am increasing the octane of probably 30 gallons of gas and that is partially why it is running better. Does anyone know if there are any adverse effects from always running with the stuff? This is far cheaper than buying premium!

Comment

Working...
                X