oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak

i've got oil comming from the right rear headbolt. Changed the valve cover gasket, bolts are tight. Could it be the o-ring under the head? The oil really pours its not a little drip it runs down the engine and covers the ground when it runs. Bike is a 77 gs 750.

to the top

Comment

Is the copper washer in place under the nut? Is everything torqued to spec? Exactly WHERE is it leaking? Between the head and the block, betweeen the block and the bottom end, or what?

Need more info...
      Last edited by bwringer; 06-06-2006, 08:51 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

its comming from under the head nut and top of the head. I used regular washers instead of the copper ones, could that be why?

Comment

That could definitely be the problem, then.

The four outer head bolts require copper washers -- oil is pumped up to the head (and back to the sump) via the passages around these bolts. These should have acorn-head nuts on them and copper sealing washers.

The rest of the head bolts do not serve as oil passages and take ordinary washers and nuts.

The copper washers are rather thick, so an auto parts store may not have them in the correct thicknesses. They are intended to be used only once, but many have gotten away with re-using them, or even annealing them before re-use. They're pretty cheap to order from Suzuki if you have the time, and the washers are part of any gasket kit.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I may have the same problem. If i get the new Cobberwashers would It be okay to replace them one by one, or shold the head come off?
            Otto

Comment

so it has to have the acorn nut too? Ill give it a try. Only other thing i can think of is the little o ring isnt seated right

Comment

Working...
              X