Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

polishing alluminium

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how I can polish alluminium, my motor to get it so shiny like chrome????
    What do i need for it??

Thx

I don't think you can polish between the fins.

I have polished flat surfaces before on my GSX-R frame and swing arm. All you have to do is use stripers and fine sand paper to remove the finishes. Next get a cloth polishing wheel on your drill with a stick of polishing compound, and go to work. I have no idea how you would go about getting between the fins. I don't like to use a dremel. Its too fast and you end up with a wavy finish. I think if I was doing a motor I would just try to clean up the existing finish or re-finish it.

Comment

Polishing compounds, like Autosol, and alot of elbow grease always worked for me. But then again, I've been lucky with most things I've owned that were aluminum. Had a set of aluminum car rims once that turned out good using rubbing compound and a buffer on a hand grinder.

Comment

Do a search for 'Make it brighter'. There is a detailed way of polishing aluminum.

Comment

Polishing between the fins is going to take a massive amount of work. My suggestion is to strip and repaint or to have them bead blasted and repaint. Dont even beleive a Dremel would work there because of the depth of the fins.

Comment

Jay's right, getting between the fins is a royal pain in the @$$. I don't go that in depth (sorta speak) with my business. Best best is, like Jay said, clean the cylinders, glass bead blast them, and paint. You can then take a sanding board or something and sand the fins and shine those up, but I would not recommend going through the hassle of doing in between the fins, cause it won't last long anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X