Carb Problem -Wits End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Problem -Wits End

I have the bike of my dreams and I can't seem to get it right. I need your opinion on the direction I should go to fix my carb problems;

Background: 1983 GS 1100e, 10,000 miles, 4-1 Kerker, 33 smoothbores, K&N Pods. Recent synch of carbs,timing,and valve adjustment.

Problem: Was fouling plugs at 150 miles, then 100. Now since I had someone to take a look at it, every 30 miles. Idles at 1050, runs like a champ until foulout. When I see you guys driving 1000 miles to the rally, I want to bury myself!

Options: Have original carbs and airbox in new shape. Should I.....

1. Not give up on my current setup and send off to someone who specializes in the smoothbores. Tired of throwing my money away to local yokels. (BTW-Mechanical novice).
    2. Replace with stock carbs (with or without pods). What would I have to inspect or replace since these new carbs have been sitting since new?

Also, where can I find the jet sizes for my particular setup.

Any help you give is greatly appreciated.[-o<

You said the carbs were fully checked and set up, so you will need to describe how the plugs are being fouled. Also describe if fouling is with all four plugs or selective.

Carbon? (Fluffy and black)

most likely causes: Running too rich, plug temperature too cold, weak spark

Wet? (self-explanatory)

most likely causes: Floats set too high or stuck

Bridged? (gap between centre and side electrodes filled)

most likely causes: foreign material in fuel and wrong plug temperature

Oil-fouled? This would have nothing to do with carbs, but is a possibility.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Well, if you're positive the rest of the bike is in good tune and has good compression, then it does sound like a very rich mixture.
      I don't have much experience with the 33's, let alone on your model. But the basics still apply to trying to find the right jetting.
      Wife just came in, I'll be back later, gotta go out to eat.
      To be continued...
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I would go back to original airbox/carbs. You could work your butt off just to get it running as well as stock. The added plus is you will get better gas mileage with the stock components. Of course all this is IMO.

Comment

Hmmm. Re-read your post and realize you have choices, not just a jetting request for the smoothbores.
          Jetting them could be tough...depends.
          The "new" CV stockers could have rubber damage. Diaphragms are expensive. But if the stockers are in fine shape, that factors in. Good chance the pipe alone will still require re-jetting but the jetting would probably be "simple" compared to what it may be now.
          If you want to keep the pipe/pods, but use the CV stockers, you'll still have a lot of jetting to do, though you may find more help because most people have jetted the stockers than the smoothies.
          It would be nice to have some more power, but if you have limited mechanical ability/patience...
          I'd try re-jetting the smoothies, but that's easy for me to say. I'm not doing the work.
          What brand/type of smoothbores? Do you know what jetting they have now?
          Main jet size?
          Jet needle e-clip position.
          Jet needle size?
          Needle jet size?
          Primary air jet size?
          Pilot air jet size?
          Cut-away (slide type) size?
          Pilot jet size?
          Side air screw present position? Etc....?
          I'm assuming your fouled plugs are after "general" riding around? That would usually be pilot and jet needle mixture problems. Full throttle tests needed to see what the main jets are doing.
          Part of the rich problem could be something as simple as basic air screw adjustments. The side air screws MUST be set using the highest rpm method.
          After setting those, if needed, then you could test at different throttle positions to focus on what changes need to be done to each jetting circuit.
          Also depends on what carbs you have as to jets/parts availability.
          Have you checked anywhere to get even a ballpark idea as to what jetting works with your carbs/set up? If all you need is basic....main jet/ jet needle position/ pilot jet, then we can probably figure it out.
          But, if you think you'd be happy with the power a stock bike with a pipe will still make, that may be the best choice.
          If re-jetted correctly, you can expect noticably more power up top, a bit more mid-range HP, but a little less low/mid-range torque. Fuel mileage typically drops about 3 to 4 MPG. I like pods/pipe. Most bang for the buck. But it really depends on what will satisfy you and what your mechanical ability and patience level is. Jetting can be difficult. Especially if you don't have any "base setting" info to start your re-jet.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for your responses. You guys are way ahead of me on the knowledge side of this. I have decided to return to the stock carbs and retain the pods and Kerker.

Any websites showing the jet sizes for this particular setup? Will order O rings too.

BTW they are Mikuni 33 smoothbores. Anybody interested in reconditioning these? Once I get the stock on and running, willing to depart with these for cheap to the people that helped me. Thanks.

John

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz
              Thanks for your responses. You guys are way ahead of me on the knowledge side of this. I have decided to return to the stock carbs and retain the pods and Kerker.

Any websites showing the jet sizes for this particular setup? Will order O rings too.

BTW they are Mikuni 33 smoothbores. Anybody interested in reconditioning these? Once I get the stock on and running, willing to depart with these for cheap to the people that helped me. Thanks.

John
              I currently am deploying 33's on another bike and would love to have those when your done with them. Please let me know. I am serious about this.

On that note, my suggestion would be to put it back to stock and enjoy that bike for what Suzi meant it to be. Put the stock pipes, air box and carbs back on. It will scream, give you the best possible fuel economy and the easiest setup. That is my vote.

Comment

I wouls also go back with the old air box and see what you have. As someone's saying on this site says: "I have done than and have the t shirt" (or something like that). I am much happier with the performance with the stock airbox.

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz

John
                  I suggest a stage 3 DJ jet kit. You may find all the jets/lighter diaphragm/piston springs and help info from members, but I don't know what you'd save, if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                    I suggest a stage 3 DJ jet kit. You may find all the jets/lighter diaphragm/piston springs and help info from members, but I don't know what you'd save, if anything.
                    If your going this route... JUST GET THE KIT!!!

Choir out...

Comment

Working...
                    X