83 GS1100ES Turn Signal Problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100ES Turn Signal Problems...

Ok, before I pull all of my hair out, I figured I'd post my problem on here and hopefully, someone will shed some light on my predicament...

When I purchased my ES, it had short stalk turn signals with aluminum housings, clear lenses and amber bulbs. The fronts are correct as in the fact that they have the dual element bulbs, one for the running light and one for the turn signals. The rears are single contact with one element just for the turn signals.

The problem is as follows:

The left front bulb and the right rear bulb were both burnt out. Since the housing is rigidly mounted to the turn signal mounts (remember, the turn signals have aluminum housings with no rubber stalks), more than likely, the vibration finally killed the elements in the bulbs.

One trip trip to the local auto parts store and I replaced the bulbs and they lit up fine but did NOT blink...

Ok, I figure the flasher is bad. I ride home, pop the tank up, pull the flasher and see that it's gunked up from 23 years and 39,000 miles of riding. I pulled the flasher from the harness, cleaned the contacts, even pulled the flasher apart and looked at the guts and they were clean.

Upon installation of the flasher, the left side signals now blinked! HOORAY!

I then moved the switch to the right side and the signals just stay on, NO BLINK...

So... here is my delimma....

After reading my Haynes manual, it states that if one side blinks and the other lights up, but does not blink, there is a problem with the switch, the turn signals or the wiring.

Ok, fine, I can buy that.

What I don't get is if the right signals light, then there cannot be a problem with the switch, wiring or signal because they are lit up... so why don't they blink?

If the flasher works the left signals, then it should work the right signals, correct?

If the lights light up, then they should blink, correct?

Does the flasher have two different circuits for the left and right signals or something?

This is the 3 prong flasher and I do still have the self cancelling system.

I even unplugged the self cancelling unit and there was no change. The lefts blinked but the rights just lit up and stayed on so that eliminates that variable (in my mind anyway).

I have searched throughout the forums for a situation like mine, but as far as I can tell, there isn't anyone else that has posted a similar problem.

If ANYONE can help shed any light on this, I would be FOREVER GRATEFUL!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2006, 11:10 PM.

Grounds

Pull off your seat and follow the grounds from the right rear turn signal and check the connection. Also do the same for the front inside the headlight housing. I've had several problems with my flashers and it always turned out to be a bad ground. Sometimes these wire connecting plugs get loose and you need to crimp the female end ever so gently to get a snug fit.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If the ground was bad, then the lights wouldn't light up, correct???

Comment

Mine lit up but it wasn't a strong enogh connection for the relay.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Any reduction in voltage flow will stop the indicators from flashing;this includes grounding wires.
          Dink

Comment

Well, I checked all of the grounds and they are all good. I crimped the hell out of the grounds so they're good so that variable has been eliminated.

One thing that I just noticed was that the left front running light is much dimmer than the right front running light.

Since the left side is the only side that flashes, and the left side running light is dimmer than the right, could that mean something? The bulbs are identical from right to left so I know that the brightness isn't due to a difference in the bulbs...

I've yet to measure the voltage at any of the lights but will do so tomorrow sometime.

Comment

Not to ask a stupid question, but have you pulled the headlight and looked at the wires there.
              I have had my headlight out quite a few times and dived into the mess that is the wiring back there
              What a mess.
              Occasionally I would run across the same problem where the light would come on but not blink.
              If you have a manual check the wiring diagram.
              If you don't I can email you one for the 1982 GS1100E.
              May help. Hope so.
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

You're saying that your headlight wiring affected your turn signals?

Comment

Keep in mind the fronts are the only ones with running lights. The rears are not intended to have running lights as stock. Single element bulbs in the rear are stock. If you replaced the rears with dual elements, you will have voltage problems.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The rears are single element.

Comment

Bill,

If the fronts are dual element, and the bulbs are identical, and one is dimmer that the other, is it possible that the bright (right) bulb is in opposite the way it should be?

Just a guess.

Comment

Well, I reversed the connection and that didn't change anything.

What I finally did was just plug in a two prong electronic flasher.

Problem solved.

I haven't tried to see if the self cancelling feature works yet, but I don't think it will, not that I really care.

I'm going to put stock front signals on, make sure they are wired correct and then I'm sure the bright/dim problem will go away.

I think it is because of these cheap signals!

Comment

Originally posted by Gofastparts4u
                          You're saying that your headlight wiring affected your turn signals?
                          Sorry for the confusion.
                          The wiring connectors for most of the lights on the bike are behind the headlight in the headlight bucket.
                          Where they connect behind the headlight is where I was finding my blinker issues.
                          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                          2000 Kawasaki Concours
                          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
                          X