1100 - 850 exhaust interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 - 850 exhaust interchange?

Did a forum search, but not certain if past answers apply to my specific situation. Expert advice appreciated.

I've been offered a clean 2nd hand 4-1 exhaust system from an '83 1100 to fit my '82 850. Don't know if the 1100 was a shaftie or if that even matters.

Brand unknown and I'll have to check if the centre stand can be retained.

cheers
    David

I did a cross reference on Dennis Kirk and it seems the 1100 and 850 are not interchangeable.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The 1100E and 1100G are quite different machines. "1983 1100" isn't enough info...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks. There's always a gotcha. I'll try to get a positive ID on the system and exactly what it came off.

Comment

It's made by Tranzac www.tranzac.com.au and is off an '83 GS1100G. Would come really nice with a coat of matt black.

Burning question is will it fit?
          Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2006, 11:26 PM.

Comment

For the record...

The seller loaned me the replacement over the weekend. Thankfully it fits, because the old system wasn't in any state to be reinstalled.

It hangs low by about an inch. The centre stand had to go and a small bracket was required to mount the can. There's plenty of clearance around the oil filter (nice) and under the sump. I'll just have to remember to take care with the reduced ground clearance.

Gives the 850 a drag bike look. The can has a nice deep fruity note which I've softened with a stainless steel wool plug to make 6am starts neighbour-friendly.

Comment

Working...
            X