Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850.. Revs at 50MPH in Top gear. Info Required

Hi

I've just rebuilt a GS850 it has a 1978 frame with a later 1981 engine. I took it out for its first spin on the road. I found that the bike runs at fairly high revs (Approx 4000RPM at around 50 MPH in 5th gear). The change up from 4th to 5th gave a very little drop in RPM. It felt like I needed sixth gear.
    Can one of you GS850 riders give me some info on their RPM's at 50MPH in top gear. Is the GS850 a high reving bike? Was there a change in gear ratio's between 1979 and 1981 and therefore giving me a high revs.

Thanks for any help
    Bobl

The 850 is unfortunately geared a bit short. I still sometimes go for 6th when the brain isn't fully engaged.

Comment

Thanks... Tool for the info.... a 6th gear would have been nice.

Comment

Hmmm, Whenever I go for sixth on either of my bikes it's right there...

Comment

4000 rpm should equate to about 64 mph on the 850. Are you using a 16" back wheel with a low profile tyre?

Comment

I have an 850G, and 4,000 RPM is 56 MPH. My speedometer shows more than 60, but we all know that M/C speedometers run approx. 10% too high.

I agree about the sixth gear. I find myself wanting to shift up from fifth quite often. I know these engines will run all day at 6-7,000 RPM, but I'd prefer to lower that a bit.

Comment

6,000 rpm indicated is about 85mph indicated on my GS850, and it will zip along happily at that pace for hours, days, and weeks on end.

Quit worrying about it.

But yes, the wish for a sixth gear is a common question/complaint from new GS850 owners. I'm not sure why, honestly. Heck, there's a nice little torque/HP peak that doesn't start until 6,000 rpm. If you don't spin the dang thing, you'll never find it. Go ahead, that's what it's designed and built to do.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

rpm at 50mph

Just got back from a ride this afternoon. At 50mph tach showed 3500. I ride a stock 80 850g. As said above this is right were the power band really starts. Great for roll on passing, if your in a big hurry drop a gear. Hope you enjoy your 850 as much as I do mine they are great bikes.
                80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Originally posted by Bill C.
                  Just got back from a ride this afternoon. At 50mph tach showed 3500. I ride a stock 80 850g. As said above this is right were the power band really starts. Great for roll on passing, if your in a big hurry drop a gear. Hope you enjoy your 850 as much as I do mine they are great bikes.
                  Jezuz, I like to keep mine at 6-8000 rpms. Now that's where the power really is!

Buy some earplugs, and spin that crank. It can take everything you can throw at it.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by bobl200
                    Hi

I've just rebuilt a GS850 it has a 1978 frame with a later 1981 engine. I took it out for its first spin on the road. I found that the bike runs at fairly high revs (Approx 4000RPM at around 50 MPH in 5th gear). The change up from 4th to 5th gave a very little drop in RPM. It felt like I needed sixth gear.
                    Can one of you GS850 riders give me some info on their RPM's at 50MPH in top gear. Is the GS850 a high reving bike? Was there a change in gear ratio's between 1979 and 1981 and therefore giving me a high revs.

Thanks for any help
                    Bobl
                    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Working...
                    X