No announcement yet.

My Suzi won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cam or cams are probably off 180 degrees. Do a compression check. Hope you don't break any valves.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

After looking last night you are correct. I found that the cam was 180 off.
      After correcting this and checking the timing again and lineing it up on the T mark. My question is the timing when on the Correct timing "T" is past the signal generator post. If it's on the F it lines up perfect so my thought is this is correct and that F is fire and it fires a second before hitting top dead center. Is this correct?
      My other question would be it still will not start.
      Gas is flowing fine from petcock and carbs. Good blue spark on plugs,
      This is the catcher I can pull the plug and spray starter fluid straight in it.
      Replace plug and start. Engine rotates but no combustion. I throw my hat down and say a lot of things I shouldn't.
      I tested coils and they read 4.8 and another blog said they should read 2-5 on ohms test at 200. 3 being perfect. So good but not great. Any ideas????

Comment

Well I checked my timing and it was off, re-timed it and she fired right up! Woo-Hoo! :-D I used to pull the choke opened all the way to get it started, now about a quarter choke and one quick click on the starter button and it starts right up. I do seem to have some cam chain noise now, so I will look into rectifying that next and I'll be back on the road! If anyone has any suggestions on how to straighten that out I'd be glad to hear it.
        You GS'rs ROCK!\\/
        Thanks!
        Rick

Comment

These are some noisy engines. If you cocked your cam chain tensioner correctly and released it properly this is the noise you will get. It took me awhile to get used to it. Congrads on getting it running.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

2005JJT, you have two cams and the 16 valve, right? In your manual you should have a count of chain links from each mark on your cam sprockets. Are you sure the marks are both pointing up?

Comment

The number one arrow is right at gasket and 2 arrow up add 20 links and 3 arrow. I think I got a lot of gas in oil at this point will drain and try next step. When adding starting fluid to spark plugs from above I rechecked spark and now #3 is almost white. I cleaned all the elect. connects so I'm think stronger then before. It's not yellow but white with a little blue. Any way was going to do compression test. Where is the cheapest place to get the tool and what should spec.it be. I'm glad the other bike is up in running.

Let me give you some more info. I got the bike from I guy who had several parts bike sitting around. So I got 1980 GS750L $200. I have been getting the missing parts from Bikebandit Ebay and a local dealer. The bike had CV carbs TSCC motor 16V. So far changed oil, oil filter, plugs, fixed all the rigged wiring in it. The ignitor, rectifer and coils I have tested. I had to buy a starter and changed the plugs. Once I found I had gas from the tank. I had issues with the carb. I cleaned it and then hadn't dipped it so did it again. Then the floats where off so after 4 times got them right. Now checked timing found it to be wrong reset and now back changing oil. Is compression the best way to see if a valve burnt? I dont think it broke. Don't here grinding or banging before timing fix. Oh one more thing I am trying to get it to start without the airbox on. I am still trying to find the under set air filter housing box that holds the filter. It was missing when got bike. So my air box is hollow any ways. I figured it wouldn't run good but enough to crank. Thanx, JT

Comment

Working...
              X