2 questions about tires and gas tank on gs 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 questions about tires and gas tank on gs 1000

My clymers manual says 28 in the fron and 40 in the rear but my tires say 41 on both of them.they are dunlops.

i ran out of gas the other day and my friend brought me 2 gallons.i then went to the nearest station and it would only hold 1.3 more gallons.My manual says the tank holds 4.3.Any ideas about these discrepancies?The wheels are stock.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Um, did you run out of gas with the petcock set to "run" or "on"? Or had you aready flipped to "reserve"?

Comment

When you ran out of gas you still had some reserve. If you had switched it to reserve then your reserve is not working. The tires are off. You almost always run a little more pressure in the front than you do in the rear although the values on both tires should be the same.

28 is way off. Try 36 cold in the front and 34 cold in the rear for starters and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless
        My clymers manual says 28 in the fron and 40 in the rear but my tires say 41 on both of them.they are dunlops.
        The 41 on the tires are the MAX load rating. Max load meaning your bikes max load with passanger and luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
          The 41 on the tires are the MAX load rating. Max load meaning your bikes max load with passanger and luggage.
          Cold.

What Bret said is correct and the values are for cold tires. No need to go that high. Try mid 30's like I said and run a pound or two or three more in the front than you do in the rear for starters. You'll find your "sweet spot" for each wheel as you play with it and test ride it. Just keep in mind that tire pressures go up as the tire gets warm so don't adjust to cold values once the wheel is warmed up. Work off the current reading after it is warmed up and adjust up or down from there.

Comment

My bike has no lever,no reserve.My 80 gs1000gl has only on and prime and it was designed that way.I will from now on figure to be near a gas station after about 110 miles.I definitely will change the air pressures though.Thanks guys!
            future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
            X