gs850 over reving!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850 over reving!!!

Hey guys this looks like the place to be for all my gs850 needs, so i hope you can help me!

I have a 1979 gs850g i ain't had it long, i had some real problems with the carbs but they are now sorted but i want to up rate them from vm26ss to the newer cv style is this possible maybe change the inlet rubbers on the engine so the carbs will fit, i dunno any suggestions?

But my main problem is when i'm riding along it seems to just rev up for know reason and i get know extra power, i haven't got a rev counter so i don't know what the revs are but i think there about 5.000 odd, then i'll let off the throttle and all will be well again untill i power on again, my mate says it's clutch slippage, maybe you have some ideas to save me buying and changing the clutch...........

Cheers

Kv

If the clutch is slipping, you'll feel it slip and a drop in power, then it'll catch and you'll feel it hook up again. How's your clutch cable adjustment? 2-3mm of slack cable at the lever? How old is your clutch cable?

Comment

wha

Well i have adjusted the clutch cable it was well tight, but i won'y know till morning now when i take her out

I haven't had the bike for very long i'm just working my way round it and sorting things out, so i don't know how old the clutch cable is judging by everything else on the bike it was put on there when the bike was made!

Comment

Could have been the clutch cable -- most clutch cables work the same, so anyone familiar with motorcycles should be able to help you sort it out in a few moments.

If the clutch itself really is slipping, it's quite likely that the original clutch springs are simply old and compressed. It's so easy to remove and replace the clutch cover that you might as well try just replacing these springs and see what happens. The clutch plates themselves and a GS850 rarely wear out until you reach extreme mileages.

Sorry, newer CV carbs won't work on a 1979 cylinder head. You could transplant the cylinder head, carbs, and airbox from a newer GS850 if you happen to have one lying around, but that's a little extreme. Most people consider the slide carbs to be easier to tune anyway.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X