Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearshift Assembly (w/ pics!)

Bike Info: 1977 Suzuki GS550

My gearshift assembly broke last week and I finally fought through stripped bolts to remove the housing. At first I thought it was a broken clutch cable, but it turns out that isn't the case. There was definitely something that broke out of the gearshift assembly. I have a feeling there is quite a bit missing now. I'll be attaching links to images so that you all can help figure out what parts I need. I can't seem to figure it out on my own from the schematics.

The pictures of my situation are can all be found here.
    http://pkluss.dyndns.org/moto/

The main question is of course, what will I need to fix this? Feel free to pepper me with your own questions in solving this. I can take more pictures if necessary. I apologize for the quality of some of them.

Thanks so much in advance. It's killing me not being able to ride this thing.

-pk

It looks to me (unless YOU removed it) your missing the lock nut for the front sprocket. The "gearthingy1" you show in the pic is the lock washer for the lock nut. Items #38 & #39

Comment

Yup that is the most obvious problem shown in those pics. Your coutershaft sprocket is no longer driving the chain,so it is no longer turning the rear wheel.
      Dink

Comment

All the metal shavings in there are scary, the sprocket is either ground out or the splines on the shaft are f**ked up. Get the sprocket back on the splines and put a nut on it first to see if that is your problem. If so, replace the front sprocket and torque the locking nut on well. It wouldn't hurt to put some blue loctite on it too.

Comment

If you take a look at the picture I titled springermabob2.jpg, you might notice (depending on how well you know this part) that this piece has some breakage on it. It looks like something is missing from it that held the clutch cable in place. Can someone verify that? I'll try to get a better picture when I get home tonight if necessary.

-pk

Comment

Also, could someone please clarify what that is that I'm even holding in my hand in that photo? What is its function?

-pk

Comment

Originally posted by pkluss
              Also, could someone please clarify what that is that I'm even holding in my hand in that photo? What is its function?

-pk
              I don't have a 550 so I don't recognize it straight off.

It's good to get a pic of the 'before', however, here's a few suggestions.

1) Clean the entire area with kerosine.
              2) Take the sprocket off and clean it and inspect it and the shaft for wear.
              3) Clean the parts you want identified and inspect for wear.
              4) Tell us where they came from on the bike - specifically.

In other words - clean it up. There is no point is showing parts that are caked in filth. You need to clean it before assembling it anyway.

Now, my guess is that the springmabob that you have in your hand came out of the housing. It looks to be the clutch actuator. When you pull in the clutch cable it rotates in the housing and pushes the clutch rod through the engine cases to disengage the clutch (on the other side).

Yes, you are correct that the clutch cable must attach to this part somewhere. If there is not an attachment point, you may find the broken bit in the clud that you scrape and clean from these parts.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2006, 10:45 AM.

Comment

The flat washer in one of the photos is to keep the large nut (not shown - missing?) from coming loose. It sits between the sprocket and the nut and after the nut is tightened, you fold the flat washer over on one of the flats of the nut thus locking it in place.

The other photos show the clutch actuation mechanism. It has threads on the outside and fits into the matching female threads on the clutch cover housing. Don't forget to use some grease on it. It can be a little tricky to install because you need to get it started on the right thread. Play around with the different positions until you find the right one.

Good luck.

Ed
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Here is a view of the cluch actuator.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...ame~GS550B.asp

It looks as if the clutch calbe attaches at item 9. Clean it up and see what you have.

Comment

One other point. If the clutch cable does break on the actuator side, then it looks as if the attachment mechanism (item 9) can fall out, as there is nothing holding it in place.

Again, clean that mess up and see if you can find it. Does the clutch cable have a little round piece on the end of it? This is the part of the cable that would mate to item 9.

It also looks as if you sprocket is shot. It looks as if you have some fish hooking going on there. If that's the case, replace both front and rear and the chain while you are in there.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2006, 12:27 PM.

Comment

So the piece that I'm holding in my hand that you all think is the clutch actuator...is that the part that i've shaded with my red marker in this schematic?

If so, I'm missing several pieces that are supposed to be on the outside of that, right? I just have too much trouble visualizing these exploded schematics even though I know they're probably the best way to diagram all of this. Damn, I'm confused...I appreciate the help so far.

-pk

Comment

Yes, that's the piece in your hand. Did you check you clutch cable? There should be a small piece of shot on the end of it. The cable would slide through the slot in (9) and not pull through due to the shot.

Comment

Yeah, the clutch cable is still intact, with the small piece on the end. It's starting to fray but it's good enough and I now have a spare in case that goes. The thing that I'm curious about is in the diagram it looks like there are two tabs that the little ball on the end of the cable is suppose to nestle between, but on mine, I only have one and some shards of metal where I believe the other broke off. It makes me nervous that I don't see a part number on that diagram for the clutch actuator. Am I out of luck there?

-pk

Comment

Suzuki of Oakland has online parts shopping, and they show the part exists and costs about $30. (It's part 5 in your diagram) I replaced the one on my '82 GS300L with one I ordered from them, and it's really not hard at all. It looks like you lost the countershaft sprocket nut and the sprocket moved back and forth on the shaft and probably took out the clutch actuator. You really need that nut.

Have you had a chance to clean it and take new pictures yet?

Comment

Originally posted by pkluss
                              Yeah, the clutch cable is still intact, with the small piece on the end. It's starting to fray but it's good enough and I now have a spare in case that goes. The thing that I'm curious about is in the diagram it looks like there are two tabs that the little ball on the end of the cable is suppose to nestle between, but on mine, I only have one and some shards of metal where I believe the other broke off. It makes me nervous that I don't see a part number on that diagram for the clutch actuator. Am I out of luck there?

-pk
                              Sounds like you found your problem - 2 tabs are required to hold part 9 in place. Did you find 9 also?

Comment

Working...
                              X