Gearshift Assembly (w/ pics!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EUREKA!

It all makes sense now. I kept going back to the bike and staring at it then looking at the schematic. After repeating that ad nauseum, I finally understand what happened. I can picture it in my head. The funny thing is the sentence I came up to describe what happened was exactly what you said jaek. I had been doing the equivalent of just nodding my head and smiling before, but now I really get what you meant. The countershaft sprocket nut most definitely fell off and the sprocket moved back and forth and slid off breaking off a tab from the clutch actuator. I'm sorry I didn't clean up the pictures. I don't have any cleaning materials with me and I really was in a hurry to get this diagnosed so that I could get the parts. I promise I'll clean her up a bit when I replace them. My big hangup was figuring out how the sprocket was being driven. I didn't realize that there were actually teeth on a gear that the sprocket had slipped off of, and I couldn't see it because i never pulled off the sprocket. As soon as I did that, it made sense.

Now, one last question before I kill this thread. I see how the clutch cable hooks into the actuator and the actuator fits into the housing and over the long rod thing that has been discontinued, but what exactly does that accomplish inside the clutch. How does that enable me to shift? I also don't see how the clutch actuator has the friction necessary to rotate that rod that it slips over. What am I missing there?

Thanks so much for the help so far. I literally sit here and smile when I think of how helpful you've all been so far. Internet user groups are positively great. I'm a network administrator and spend a fair deal on computer related boards, but this is my first mechanical board. Hopefully I'll soon be contributing to the solutions, and not the problems.

-pk

Comment

It doesn't rotate the rod, it pushes it in.

Comment

Ah, of course.

Thanks again.

Comment

If you can handle computer networks, you can totally handle motorcycles. Especially these older ones - they have what, maybe 1000 parts? If you go to a website that has all the parts fiche available and print out the pictures, and then go to repairmanual.com and get a manual for your bike (probably thirty bucks, they take paypal), you'll be in excellent shape.

Comment

Working...
          X