1980 gs750L carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs750L carbs

Had trouble with 2 and 3 pipes not getting hot cleaned carbs and now cant even get a fart out of it, spark plugs seem to be wet bowls are fullof gas,what now coils not strong enough? Ill pay one of you guys to come fix it.

What?

I've got the same set up.....be really specific and I'll bet you'll get some great advice from some of the experts. You simply haven't provided enough information to make anybody want to hazard a guess!!:shock:
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 06-08-2006, 11:06 AM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

not running

I dont know what more to tell you it was running on 1 and 4, plugs seem to be dry on 2and 3 so, I took 2 and 3 carbs off and cleaned them and it doesnt fire on 1and4 is the spark suppose to be blue rather then a yellow, how do I tell if the plug wires are going to the right plugs

Comment

Coil

I think you've got a problem with the coil that runs 1 and 4. If you do a search, you'll find out how to check it out with a multimeter. I think you'll be able to figure it out rather quickly. By the way, if you find you have a defective coil, send me a PM.....I've got a new one that's never been used. Good luck!:-D

Do a search for "firing order coil"....and you'll find some great information. When you get the search list, check on "Not firing on 1 & 4".
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 06-08-2006, 11:21 AM.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

As you sit on the bike your starter button and front brack lever is on the right side of the bike. The left coil fires cylinders 1 & 4. The right coil fires cylinders 2 & 3. You might simply switch the coils around and see if cylinders 1 & 4 behave like 2 & 3 did.

When you said that you removed carbs 2 & 3...you meant that you removed the whole carb rack, right? If you took the carbs out of the rack then you will need to sync them before you can get it to idle/run right.

As mentioned, checking the coil is no big deal and a former thread is here somewhere to direct you (as long as you possess a meter). I would try to switch the coils as a first step.

Comment

bike runs now

After trying to start it for a couple hours I gave up, put the charger on the batt, over nite left for work the next morn. came home I thought I would try it one more time before I took the carbs off and it started like right now, all pipes are hot and no leaks took it for a ride and run it to 9000 rpm and no miss, doing 100mph in 4th gear, I think Ill leave it alone now , maybe Ill get better gas mileage, sure sounds nice having all 4 working, must have not noticed it when i brought it that it was running on just 3 cyclinders very quick and responsive now much better thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X