Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of grease to use on valve stem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No need to overthink this -- you only want something that's going to help you assemble the valves and seals and protect the parts just until the engine is started. You do not want a product that's going to hang around.

A light coating of plain ordinary clearish-brown wheel bearing grease will work fine and then get out of the way without messing up your clutch or anything else. Do not use engine assembly lube or anything else containing moly inside a motorcycle engine.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi bwringer,

Thanks for your information.
      in the manaul, it is menetioed the grease is " Molybdenum Disulfide Lubricant"
      Can it easy to find in auto parts shop?
      Addy

Comment

I always use moly assembly lube.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryman
          I always use moly assembly lube.

I stand corrected -- I guess maybe assembly lube doesn't put enough moly in the engine to affect the clutch. Any decent auto parts store will have it, which means that you might not find it at Autozone or Advance.

However, one of my shop manuals (Clymers or Haynes, I forget which) does state to use only plain engine oil as assembly lube, so that's all I've ever used. I don't know what the Official Suzuki Manual says, since these are quite rare and very expensive for my bike. Anyone with a Suzuki manual want to chip in?
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
            I stand corrected -- I guess maybe assembly lube doesn't put enough moly in the engine to affect the clutch. Any decent auto parts store will have it, which means that you might not find it at Autozone or Advance.

However, one of my shop manuals (Clymers or Haynes, I forget which) does state to use only plain engine oil as assembly lube, so that's all I've ever used. I don't know what the Official Suzuki Manual says, since these are quite rare and very expensive for my bike. Anyone with a Suzuki manual want to chip in?
            About the only thing I use manuals for are the exploded views, clearances, and torque settings. You are correct that the small amount of moly has not effect. It is used as protecton on startup only and I usually change the oil after a few hours of break in - that's how long it takes. I run 'em hard and they break in fast. I never did go for that pussy footing around stuff. Keith Black didn't baby his engines and neither do I. (Of course, he's god and I'm just an underling). lol

Comment

Working...
            X