Hard Starting - 1985 GS550ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Starting - 1985 GS550ES

Looking for advice/experience to aid with a hard starting issue on a 1985 GS550ES.

The bike has been stored properly for about 2 years. We've changed the oil and replaced the battery and fuel petcock. The gas tank and carbs were drained before storage.

The bike required starting fluid for the first post-storage start-up, but it did start. With a little coaxing it warmed up and maintained idle. After a 10 mile test ride, that included a shut down/restart to fill up at the gas station, there were no issues related to stalling, idle, starting, etc. Then, after the test ride, the bike sat for 5 or 10 minutes. Once again, starter fluid was required to get it going again. Once started, not signs of any problem.

Things that we haven't done, but plan to: Replace the air filter, oil filter and spark plugs. Check the charging system and starting system (coils in particular).

I understand that these bikes have a somewhat poor design in the electrical systems that may cause starting issues.

So, my question to all of you out there is this: "Are there any known issues regarding hard starting in general and/or after warm-up?"

Also, if you have any other general thoughts/ideas/tips/advice with regard to systems/components that my be involved in starting issues, please feel free to put 'em into the mix here.

Thanks!

It sounds like the choke circuit is dirty to me. You may have to pull the carbs and clean them.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

I agree, but I'd still change your plugs/filters first.

Might as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod
        Looking for advice/experience to aid with a hard starting issue on a 1985 GS550ES.

The bike has been stored properly for about 2 years. We've changed the oil and replaced the battery and fuel petcock. The gas tank and carbs were drained before storage.

The bike required starting fluid for the first post-storage start-up, but it did start. With a little coaxing it warmed up and maintained idle. After a 10 mile test ride, that included a shut down/restart to fill up at the gas station, there were no issues related to stalling, idle, starting, etc. Then, after the test ride, the bike sat for 5 or 10 minutes. Once again, starter fluid was required to get it going again. Once started, not signs of any problem.

Things that we haven't done, but plan to: Replace the air filter, oil filter and spark plugs. Check the charging system and starting system (coils in particular).

I understand that these bikes have a somewhat poor design in the electrical systems that may cause starting issues.

So, my question to all of you out there is this: "Are there any known issues regarding hard starting in general and/or after warm-up?"

Also, if you have any other general thoughts/ideas/tips/advice with regard to systems/components that my be involved in starting issues, please feel free to put 'em into the mix here.

Thanks!
        check for air leaks in the intake boots and the o rings on the engine side This will make it hard starting after warm up and bad idle. M bike sat for 2 weeks and would not idle at all till I cleaned the spark plugs and air filter.Havent had a problem since.Moral of the story.....Get it going and ride every chance you get!!!These bikes hate to sit and not be riddin.

Comment

Working...
        X