No announcement yet.

Best clutch for gs 850 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In "80" I baught a GS 1100 E, I abused the clutch for 26,000 mi before I blew a clutch basket. At that time the clutch had never slipped. Before installing the new basket, I welded the rivets in the backing plate on the new basket, installed 3 stock springs & 3 heavy duty springs, and a new set of stock plates. I sold the bike at just past 50,000 mi and the clutch had never slipped. I always used Castrol 20w50, and then, I only weighed 160 lb. I've owned several GS's, right now I have 3. The only clutch slipping problem I've ever had is on one of my present GS 1150's. It has Barnett plates in it, they were in it when I got it. With the cable adjusted properly, It's very hard to shift into neutral, the clutch drags when the lever is in. If I tighten the cable so it won't drag, the clutch turns loose at about 6000rpm. go figure

Comment

Rphillips, I have found on my 1150 that when nuetral becomes difficult to engage that chain tension plays a big part in it. I nfact I now use that as gauge for time to adjust my chain.
      Dink

Comment

dink
        does it get hard to find neutral when your chain is loose or too tight ? I have a barnett with heavy duty springs and the trouble i have is with the clutch in if i bring up the rpms quick it will start to pull the bike forward. this can be no fun at the dragstip (1,2,3 redlight) I found with synthetic oil it does not do it as much. Some body told me that barnett clutches like to creep. Any body else have this trouble?

Comment

Working...
        X