Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upping the Idle

1979 GS1000

My bike is idling a little too slow. Its taking too long to get warmed up and I can't let go of the accelerator for a good 7-10 minutes or the engine will die. Even when its at its warmed up and at its hottest it only idles at about 1100-1200 rpm's max. Even then, sometimes if I let off the accelerator at a light too fast the bike will die. I was hoping to get it to about 1300-1500 rpms once its warmed up. How would I go about doing this. I don't know if there's a way to sinch up the cables or if I have to do it by adjusting the carbs. Thanks

Also, I found a rectifier for a 1978 GS750E. I was wondering if this will fit my 1979 GS1000.

Comment

Under the carbs there is a big plastic wheel. Turn the wheel in one direction and the idle goes up, turn it the other way and it goes down. Hope that helps.
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T
      http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Although it sounds like the carbs are dirty or the choke is sticking...

Are you using the choke during warm up?
        2010 Honda VFR1200F
        1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
        Being Revisited
        1981 Honda CM400T
        http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Also could be an intake leak.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Check the specs for your bike, but 1300-1500 rpm is basically too high an idle rpm. If it won't idle well at 1100-1200 rpm, you probably have other issues.

Comment

Originally posted by mark
              Check the specs for your bike, but 1300-1500 rpm is basically too high an idle rpm. If it won't idle well at 1100-1200 rpm, you probably have other issues.
              True. Factory idle setting is between 950 and 1,050. Turn the large metal knob directly under the carbs, between carbs 2 and 3. Turn it in (tighten) to raise the rpm. Check all basic tuning before setting the idle too high deliberately. Check for correct throttle cable play at the pull cable, and zero play at the return cable.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
              X