Grip replacement on GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grip replacement on GS1100E

I just bought an '83 GS1100E from my brother--great bike(my last bike was a Honda 650, also an '83). My question is: What's the procedure for changing the grips on the handlebars? This particular bike has Superbike-style bars with aftermarket chrome grips as well, and the throttle twistgrip feels like it has a break in the hard insert inside it. No service manual I have even covers the stock unit, but my understanding is that if I remove the switchgear from the right bar, the throttle control comes with it. I also assume that this insert will be part of a replacement twistgrip. Any advice on replacing the left-hand grip would be a great help as well. As I am a driveway tinkerer without even a proper garage, I want to get the bike apart and back together as expeditiously as possible without any unpleasant surprises.

The right grip is easy...once you take the switch box off, the grip will come. As for the left, its pretty much grab and twist. If you can get a little WD40 between the bar and the grip it will help.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Take the spray tube for your can of WD and lightly oil it so it will slip in easy and slide it half way into the grip so the end is right in the middle of the grip. Then put your WD can onto the end sticking out and give it a few shots. Due to the pressure not much will go in usually so don't be afraid to hit it a with a few shots. Be careful as the pressure and angle will make the tube pop out of the spray nozzle really easy and can make a mess (wear protective glasses).

Once you have done that you can work it front the middle until the lube gets all around inside and the grip will slide right off. Now all this is if you want to keep the grip intact.

If you are going to discard the grip once off then simply cut it off with a razor knife. All done!

As for the throttle tube side. It's the same procedure. The grip comes off of your throttle tube and no the new grip does not come with one. That is a Suzuki part you would have to re-order from the dealer if you damage it or if it is already broken as you suspect it is.

When putting the new grips back on some water works well or I also use Berkebile 2+2 Gum Cutter as it is slippery but dries out completely then. Contrary to what many will say, a one time application of it will not harm your rubber grips.

It's a pretty easy job.

Comment

The method I've found to work fast when removing a grip is to stick a small screwdriver between the grip and handlebar then dribble some denatured alcohol in and around the screwdriver created opening. Pull out the screwdriver and give the grip a twist. It'll pop right off.

Comment

hoomgar's grip suggestion

Hey Hoomgar... it sounds like his brother replaced the grips with solid? metal aftermarket grips.. your suggestion works with regular rubber grips though...

Some of the aftermarket grips comes with the throttle control manufatured into the grip as one unit.. haven't had any experience with these type myself..

along the same note though.. the suzuki oem throlle grip has a lip on it that precludes any aftermarket grips from sliding up to the switch housing.. has anyone replaced their grips and did you have to grind this lip off??

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by GS550joe
            Hey Hoomgar... it sounds like his brother replaced the grips with solid? metal aftermarket grips.. your suggestion works with regular rubber grips though...

Some of the aftermarket grips comes with the throttle control manufatured into the grip as one unit.. haven't had any experience with these type myself..

along the same note though.. the suzuki oem throlle grip has a lip on it that precludes any aftermarket grips from sliding up to the switch housing.. has anyone replaced their grips and did you have to grind this lip off??

Joe
            Even those metal ones are rubber buddy. It's just metal inlayed in rubber. If it has the throttle tube included it sounds like a 1" grip for HD. I doubt that is what he has there.

As for replacing them yes, I have done many on every bike I get. You can get it up to that lip if you want and be happy with it. I have dome that already but It depends on the bike. I did that with the 1k I just sold but on my other GS I ground it off. Some grips (like the SB grips) come with a spacer that fills that gap so you don't have to cannibalize your throttle tube. I'm almost never satisfied with the grips that come on a bike when I get it

Comment

Working...
            X