'81 Gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 Gs850

New problem with this bike have cleaned carbs and set float levels bike will run with airbox off and I choke down the carbs with my arm across the air intakes but when I replace the airbox the bike will not even fire. Need suggestions
    Thanks

Mixture adjustment?

Sounds like it is trimmed rich so when the airbox is off it runs because the over supply of air available makes the mixture correct enough to sustain running, because your arm can't replace the same volume of air the carbs receive compared to the airbox, and when the airbox is on the supply of air isn't enough to create a firing mixture of fuel and air. Did you replace any of the o-rings in the carbs or reuse the old? Strongly recommend getting the kit sold here on the forum for $12. Would adjust the air screws about 2 1/2 turns counter clockwise from seated position. The o-rings on these jets are very small and should have also been replaced. Sounds like a mixture problem and would start with changing the mixture more lean.
    Also make sure the air filter isn't over oiled starving the engine of air.
    Bill

Comment

In what section do I find the carb kits?

Comment

You should be able to re-use everything but the O Rings. Buy them here www.cycleorings.com Cleaning and repairing them is a piece of cake, if someone hasn't already trashed something.

Comment

Working...
        X