Clutch issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch issues

I have an 85 GS700E and I was wondering about the clutch. Last year I replaced the clutch plates and springs because for some reason the clutch seemed to be slipping while it was in gear. I found that if I tried to accelerate too fast the rpms would go way up but the bike would not accelerate. Was just wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Originally posted by pidedafu
    I have an 85 GS700E and I was wondering about the clutch. Last year I replaced the clutch plates and springs because for some reason the clutch seemed to be slipping while it was in gear. I found that if I tried to accelerate too fast the rpms would go way up but the bike would not accelerate. Was just wondering what I'm doing wrong.
    I replaced my clutch this year and the slipping came back as well, It was a problem with the clutch pushrod adjustment. I had to adjust it properly and now have more glutch grabbing power than I ever imagined.

It actually looks like my old clutch plates were fine, just the adjustment the whole time.

Comment

I replaced my clutch this year and the slipping came back as well, It was a problem with the clutch pushrod adjustment. I had to adjust it properly and now have more glutch grabbing power than I ever imagined.
      How do you adjust the pushrod?

Comment

If your clutch adjustment is ok, try some steel wool on the steel clutch plates. Sometimes they become crazed and need cleaned.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by topher1556
          How do you adjust the pushrod?
          ony my model '79 750L, you pull the small cover off of the left side that houses the clutch adjustment. You will see a shaft with a slot cut in it for a screwdriver and a locknut that keeps it from moving.

Loosen the 12mm locknut, then screw the shaft out several turns and then slowly turn it in until you start to feel some resistance then back it off a quarter turn and lock it down. It took a few attempts to know when I was feeling the resistance I was looking for, but with a few attempts you can easily tell.

You will then have to adjust your clutch cable.

Comment

Working...
          X