Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold #3...

So,

My #3 cylinder is cold at idle. I ride regularly on the freeway, and don't feel like it's missing, but it could be (this is my first suzi :-)). The other inline 4 I've had seemed just as smooth on the freeway.

But at idle, it seems to run fairly rough. Just after starting, I can just touch the exhaust pipe of cylinders 1, 2, and 4. But cylinder 3, I can wrap my hand around the exhaust pipe and hold it there for at least 2-3 mins.

I have tried swapping coil wires of cyls 2 & 3...same result.
    I have tried swapping and regapping sparkplugs of cyls 2 & 3...same result.
    When I pull the plug, it is almost black, slightly shiny, and seems to smell of fuel.
    Any ideas (or should I just guess...the carb/s)?

I'm running a stock pipe, with most of the stock airbox, but an aftermarket filter with nothing around it in the battery compartment (I believe that part of the housing is gone??).

Clogged pilot jet or passage? Try some in fuel carb cleaner, any suggestions guys?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You could also need to adjust your float level in that carb.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Because I'm suffering from this as well I've acquired a very small amount of knowledge from Chef and Keith and etc... back to the fundamental equation: Fuel + Compression + Spark = go. It seems your spark is ok since you swapped the coil wires, so I would also check compression to ensure its in spec. If it is, then focus in on carbs. As chef said, your pilot circuit could be clogged. You could also have a vacuum leak (check to make sure the boots are soft and supple and dont have any cracks and are connected correctly.) After running pull the carbs and check to see if there is fuel on the butterfly or on the inside of the boot. Also take a measurement of the float height and/or compare the amount of fuel in the float bowl to the amount in a functioning carb.

Thats all I remember for now

Comment

I've now got a second set of carbs on the way to me for a rebuild. When I pull of my current carbs, I'll let you know what I find.

Comment

#3 carb

I had the same problem but 2 and 3 carbs on my gs 750L I cleaned them with no new parts and it runs great

Comment

Working...
            X