Fussy Starter - 1980 GS550 L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fussy Starter - 1980 GS550 L

For the past week my starter motor has been acting up. Sometimes I get on the bike to start it and all I get is a single click noise from the starter but no rotation. Seems kinda like what it would do if my clutch wasn't pulled in when trying to start, but I know the clutch switch is working properly, ignition is good, gear indicator is good. This happens on and off, when the bike is warm or cold, and seems to be at random.
    Somehow I figured out that if this happens and the starter won't turn, I put the bike in gear and lurch it forward a few inches to turn the motor a bit, then like magic, it works again.

1. Why would turning the engine suddenly make it work?

It seems like if it was an electrical issue, then turning the engine would have no effect.

2. Has anyone experienced the same thing on their bike?

PS - The electrical system is nearly perfect, with mostly new parts and aircraft-type electrical connections. Battery is good as well as good charging, I checked that all first.

Your started may have developed a "flat spot" where the brushes come in contact. You would need to disassemble the starter motor and clean all the grooves in the "stator?" Sorry, don't know all the terminology. The carbon brushes wear down and leave deposit behind. "Shorting" two plates together. I found that if I tapped the starter motor cover with a rubber mallet while depressing the button, it would go. I just used some emery cloth and sanded each "groove". I hope this was of some help.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2006, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Don't mean to insult:-) but did you check you battery connections and grounds. Check your connection on your selonoid? I just like to start simple before removing the starter.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I had a similar problem recently

I narrowed the problem down to the starter itself since all connections were good and I had 12volts at the starter. Once I got the starter out I bench tested it and in worked fine. Upon searching the archives of this forum I found that the starter circuit is grounded through the starter mounting bolts. Mine were corroded. I wire brushed the mounting bolts and reinstalled the starter and now it cranks strong. It's easy to overlook the negative side of the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by dubpander
          Your started may have developed a "flat spot" where the brushes come in contact. You would need to disassemble the starter motor and clean all the grooves in the "stator?" Sorry, don't know all the terminology. The carbon brushes wear down and leave deposit behind. "Shorting" two plates together. I found that if I tapped the starter motor cover with a rubber mallet while depressing the button, it would go. I just used some emery cloth and sanded each "groove". I hope this was of some help.

Its called an armature

Comment

Originally posted by granda0101
            I narrowed the problem down to the starter itself since all connections were good and I had 12volts at the starter. Once I got the starter out I bench tested it and in worked fine. Upon searching the archives of this forum I found that the starter circuit is grounded through the starter mounting bolts. Mine were corroded. I wire brushed the mounting bolts and reinstalled the starter and now it cranks strong. It's easy to overlook the negative side of the circuit.
            good pick up and use of forums dude - well doon\\/

Comment

I had the identical problem, identical. Bump the engine and she'd fire up. This, like all good things, doesn't last forever.

My problem was simply worn brushes and springs in the starter. It does require removal of the carbs to get the motor out of the engine. New brushes and springs are available from www.stockers.com Stockers Starters. If you don't mind soldering it's a really cheap job. But it's no fun removing and installing those blasted carbs.

You'll probably need an impact driver to remove the 3 long screws from the starter, use some solvent, or Goo-Gone on the threaded ends of the screws on the 'bottom cap' of the starter, the screws are 'locktited' (?) in place.

Careful, before you remove the cap from the body of the starter put index marks on both so you can line it up for reassembly, same for the brush plate inside. You can reassemble this incorrectly! If you do, your starter will spin in reverse and your engine will not rotate, the starter will just be locked up and fry itself.

Very dirty job. You'll need lots of rags, solvent, contact cleaner and
              hand cleaner. Not really a difficult job it's just a lot of work.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
                Its called an armature
                Actually the entire assembly is indeed called the armature. The part of the armature he emoried, though, is the commutator. 8-[

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                  Actually the entire assembly is indeed called the armature. The part of the armature he emoried, though, is the commutator. 8-[
                  lol....agreed.

Comment

Fixed!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I finally had time to look at that starter today after she quit working all together. I had to pull the carbs and cam chain tensioner to get her out. The starter solenoid was working properly and all the grounds were good, but there was oxidation on the internal brushes of the starter. After a clean-up with some 400-grit sandpaper and electrical contact cleaner, I re-installed the starter and she works like a champ. Thanks all!
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2006, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X