Idle Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle Problem

recently I have noticed my GS1000S failing at idle even after it is warmed up...

it runs sweet through all rev ranges....

accelerates clean....

starts first up....

just doesnt seem to want to sit & idle for more than about 60 seconds before the idle drops and it cuts out ??? - currently set to 1k rpm

I noticed I can adjust idle settings and maybe increasing idle may help.... as per http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...highlight=idle (as it is raining today I can't get out to test this fully)

I noticed in the above thread idle probs could be air intake....

since this is a recent problem it sounds likely this could also be the fault....

where am I likely to find air intake probs ????

I am sure the carb boots are getting fairly worn... but dont notice any splitting yet...

I know I have an exhaust leak as I can feel the warm air buffeting on my left knee on acceleration.... and it makes the coolest lil back fires gearing back down lol \\/ - but im guessing exhaust leaks wont effect idle too much???

I run pods and have noticed they are pretty grubby - is there anyway to clean these effectively to avoid buying new ones and can I expect that to help idle issues???

any clues would be kool

cheers

Phark

What kind of pods to you have? Dirty air filters will greatly affect idle. Also check your battery and connections, this will also affect idle. Get new exhaust rings or gaskets, you need the back pressure. Spray wd40 around the intake boots while running and see if your idle dives.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
      What kind of pods to you have? Dirty air filters will greatly affect idle. Also check your battery and connections, this will also affect idle. Get new exhaust rings or gaskets, you need the back pressure. Spray wd40 around the intake boots while running and see if your idle dives.
      thx for the reply

Mikuni carbs with cone shaped filters - similar to these:arrow:

they look pretty dirty - any clues on how to clean them without buggering them totally ???

Comment

Buy some K&N filter cleaner and oil. Follow the instructions on the can. Piece of cake and takes 10 minutes. Most of the time is waiting for them to dry.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
          Buy some K&N filter cleaner and oil. Follow the instructions on the can. Piece of cake and takes 10 minutes. Most of the time is waiting for them to dry.
          Brilliant \\/ - thanks, not sure if we have that brand here but off to check - will post the result

Comment

Working...
          X