Stator cover leak...HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator cover leak...HELP!

Well, I finished my stator and R/R installation. This morning I went out, checked all the connections and tightened all the bolts and screws. After filler her with oil, I fired it up; it runs great! BUT...........here's the problem.

I have a fairly bad oil leak right at the bottom of the cover and have no idea why. I spent about an hour and a half cleaning off the old gasket so it couldn't be that. I put on a new gasket so it couldn't be that. I put the cover on with an impact driver....I got the screws in tight, but not too tight. I have no idea what to do...HELP!! By the way, I did tighten the screws a little more after I found the leak but it didn't seem to help. Thanks!!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Hopefully you didn't gouge the mating surface cleaning the old gastket off.

I'd throw out the old philips head and get some hex head screws. They tighten easier, no need for an impact driver, and look much better.

Comment

Clean surfaces

No, I was really careful not to damage either the case or the cover. When I finished up with them, they were totally smooth. There's got to be something going on because, as tight as those screws are, I just can't imagine why it's leaking.

Comment

I would guess that you probably overtightened the screws. Using an impact driver to tighten screws will apply too much force. Phillips screws are designed to "cam out" and slip when excess force is applied. The gasket is supposed to do the sealing. If the case is tightened too much it will flatten the gasket, possibly distort the case, and be more prone to leak. There is no significant pressure in the case, and it doesn't take extra tightening to make a good gasket seal.

If you still feel that the screws are not overtightened, the gasket may have slipped when you lined up the case on the engine.

Comment

What about that dam rubber grommet that the wires run thru? Is that sealing correctly? I've had trouble with that in the past.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions. I don't think I had it too tight, Boon, and the leak was at the very bottom (felt it really good all the way around). I ended up taking it off and putting a little gasket goo on the affected area. I just finished and will fire it up in the morning (hopefully, after I remember to fill it with oil). Because the wires were tight (because the stator was already installed), I had a devil of a time with the rubber grommet that Jimcor mentioned so......that may be my new problem. I'll let you know and, again, thank you. By the way, those case savers make the problem even more miserable!

Comment

That freakin grommet is what did me in for about three tries before I finally got it. The stator I ordered from electrex didn't have one, and the old one was absolute garbage. It took a few tries but I was able to get it to seal with some RTV.

Comment

Grommet

Well, the stator I bought from Rick's had one (and it looked like a really good one) but I can only hope it ended up seated when I put the case on for the second time...(of course, the first time, the stator wasn't wired throught the frame so it was not a problem at all). If my problem ends up there, I'll just have to remove the stator cover, shifter, shifter cover.... and start over.

Comment

Done!

I oiled it up, fired it up and too her for a spin. Nary a drop of oil was spilled...(nor a tear shed). Thanks, to all!:-D

Comment

This is *exactly* where I've been the last couple days; I still have a drip after two tries. Two questions: What is the "gasket goo" you mention? Second, is it ok to use the oil again if it's drained into a clean container? It gets rather expensive if one needs multiple attempts! Jim

Comment

Yep

There's been a great deal of discussion about which sealants to use or not use. Evidently, Hylomar is very popular but I couldn't find any. I used Permatex Ultra-gray which is sold just about everywhere and was highly reocmmended by 2 pros I talked with.

Use it very sparingly...it's amazing how little it takes. Put it on with your finger and spread it evenly. I didn't put it on the gasket but, rather, on both the cover and the case and then reassembled everything. Let it cure overnight. It worked perfectly for me.

I understand perfectly your concern about ditching your oil over and over. I replaced mine on my first attempt (it was almost time anyway). After I realized I had a leak, I drained it into a clean container and used it after I fixed the problem. I would have done the same thing again if it had been necessary. Good luck...once you get it fixed, it will stay that way for a long time (hopefully!).:-D
                      Last edited by chuckycheese; 06-14-2006, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I was able to replace my stator and gasket without draining the oil by leaning the bike so all the oil was on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
                          I was able to replace my stator and gasket without draining the oil by leaning the bike so all the oil was on the other side.
                          That works, too.

It helps to have a REALLY big guy holding it on an angle. Fortunately, it does not have to be a great angle, but it definitely requires stong legs to keep it there.

Tim White did that with Carmen's GS1100L when I pulled the stator cover to adjust the wire harness keeper: it was touching the rotor intermittently, just enough to make a noise.
                          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I assume Bret meant that he leaned it up against something, which would make things a lot easier--also easier to clean the surface where the cover attaches, I'd imagine, and even get the damn gasket and cover on. How, exactly, did you do it? I don't know anyone well enough (or big enough) to hold it up!

Jim
                            '81 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by jamessh
                              I assume Bret meant that he leaned it up against something, which would make things a lot easier--also easier to clean the surface where the cover attaches, I'd imagine, and even get the damn gasket and cover on. How, exactly, did you do it? I don't know anyone well enough (or big enough) to hold it up!

Jim
                              '81 GS650G
                              This was on my GR so keep in mind its only 400lbs. :-D With bike on the center stand, place a piece of 2x4 on floor next to left side of stand. Tilt bike far enough to slide (with your foot) the 2x4 under left leg of center stand. I than braced the other side of the bike to keep it from falling over. Just a 2" rise on the left side was enough to keep the oil from spilling out.

Comment

Working...
                              X