Gas in the crankcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas in the crankcase

A couple months back I took my 1981 GS550L out for the first ride of the year and it died on me within 2 miles. After checking things out a bit I discovered the crankcase full of gas. I'm not sure if this happened in the short distance I drove or if it happened sitting in my garage over the winter. I guess I'm wondering what to do now....besides changing the oil?? What other things should I be aware of....damage that I may have done?? Any ideas on why it happened and how to prevent it from happening again. I had bought the bike about 4 years ago and had to tear the carbs out and put a kit in but other than that I haven't had to do any work to the bike. Any advice would be appreciated.

fuel in case

If its been sitting a year the carbs will have to come of again and cleaned again as varnish appears when fuel dries and that should be your problem with sticky needle and seats. Make sure u have to correct float hieght as well. If u only did two miles i should be ok. U can hydralic the engine in extreme cases when there is too much fuel and the engine trys to start.

Comment

This is a textbook petcock leak -- every GS needs a new petcock at some point. They don't last forever. The vacuum diaphragm gets a microscopic hole, and gas slooooooooowly seeps down into the vacuum port, into the cylinder, and down into the engine.

You might be able to find a rebuild kit, but results have been iffy and personally I'd just buy a new one. They're between $45 and $60. Order a Suzuki part or get one from Cycle Recycle II http://crc2onlinecatalog.com/ . Many have been disappointed with petcocks purchased from eBay -- there are many subtle differences, and it can be difficult to end up with the correct one.

You MIGHT also have a problem with leaking or sticky needles and seats, or a bad o-ring around the seat. However, over a long winter even perfectly good needles and seats will seep some fuel if a bad petcock isn't shutting off the flow.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i just put a gas shut off valve in my line.

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the advice!! I appreciate it.

Comment

dog on it

I guess I can say I found the reason why my bike will not run anymore. I did that mod where you take out the diaphram and plug the tubes. Now my bike will not run for anything. I have a crank case full of gas!!! I thought the floats would keep that from happening. I was wrong. So, how do I get all the gas out?

Comment

Originally posted by jbayreaux
              I guess I can say I found the reason why my bike will not run anymore. I did that mod where you take out the diaphram and plug the tubes. Now my bike will not run for anything. I have a crank case full of gas!!! I thought the floats would keep that from happening. I was wrong. So, how do I get all the gas out?
              Drain it with the oil.

Comment

You either have one or more bad float seats or needles, or the o-rings on the float seats are dried up and allowing fuel past the seats.

Comment

simple enough

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                  You either have one or more bad float seats or needles, or the o-rings on the float seats are dried up and allowing fuel past the seats.
                  well, that makes a sense as to why my bike you die after a while when it was running. It was flooding due to the float needles malfunctioning. I need a carb rebuild kit, I just wished they made them for my bike. I tore my diaphram up for nothing. Oh well, I could get a cut off valve. Thanks yall!

Comment

Working...
                  X