Bike wont turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike wont turn over

Today i got the parts i needed to try to start my 82 gs650e i installed a new battery"fully charged" replaced my throttle and the cable and replaced the gaskets in the carbs and cleaned them all out.

i turn the key on the lights light up on the dash headlight works tailight works,i hit the start button it does nothing dosent even make a sound ,i went over the whole electric systems wiring and cleaned all connections and still nothing,i spent like 3 hours fiddlin with it and it does nothing 8-[

btw the horn dosent seem to work nor doe the turn signals but i have the back turn signals unplugged if that makes a diffrence

If the backs are unplugged the fronts should still come on, they'll just be solid instead of blinking.

Just to knock out the dumb questions... Did you have the kick stand up with the bike in neutral and the switch set to run and the clutch pulled in before hitting the ignition button?

I have heard of people having problems with the kickstand kill switch before, where the bike thinks the kickstands down even when it isn't. That's one possible issue.

Comment

It sounds like your start button or starter. I would bypass the start button and relay switch by taking the main red wire from battery going to relay box and hook it to the other red wire going to your starter. This will cause your starter to turn. if not you have a ground on starter issue (meaning starter loose) or starter dead. On my GS750L 1980 all turn signals had to be hooked up to work something in ground I think or flasher relay. The horn only has two wires change them around if no luck it's the hand switch or horn. Take the switch unit off handle bar. The start and horn are a like there is a screw holding a spring and a dome of metal a part. You press spring metal hits and they click a relay. On Off. Also did you turn the grip to run and check the two fuel tank electric connection wires. They will cause all of your problems to happen also. Good Luck....JT

Comment

Turns out the clutch has to be pulled in for the bike to start lol,i was so frustrated today and never even thought about it which is funny cause my kawasaki u have to have the clucth in to start it and my ford ranger is the same way.

the wires coming out of the start button on the bars were hanging cut so i hooked them back up and the switch still wont turn the bike over but if i put all 3 wires toghter the bike turns over starter switch is bad i guess

Comment

Working...
        X