Advice for a novice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for a novice?

Im not much of a mechanic, I managed to rebuild my carbs due to the info on this site, and ive had my bike running for a couple of weeks now.

A friend of mine was checking out my bike and told me it sounded like i needed a valve job, i guess my question is, What is involved in this process? Can a rookie mechanic like me do it?

I was going to run the bike through the fall, and then really dig into it, get it clean etc.. I dont want to burn it up, as it sits its a good bike.

Anyhow.. Any advice for this beginner?

I Suspect You Mean Valve Adjustment. That is Routine Maint. on these Bikes and if You use the Search Function Here I'm sure You can Find the Information to do it Yourself. Do You have a Manual for the Bike?
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

You most likley do need the valves adjusted but...don't worry too much. Old air cooled bikes always make strange noises. It's most noticeable when their cold too. So, some valvetrain noise is normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop
        Im not much of a mechanic, I managed to rebuild my carbs due to the info on this site, and ive had my bike running for a couple of weeks now.

A friend of mine was checking out my bike and told me it sounded like i needed a valve job, i guess my question is, What is involved in this process? Can a rookie mechanic like me do it?

I was going to run the bike through the fall, and then really dig into it, get it clean etc.. I dont want to burn it up, as it sits its a good bike.

Anyhow.. Any advice for this beginner?
        Well we need some more details about the "valve job noise". Do you hear a ticking near the top of the engine when it's warm? This is a tell tale sign you need a valve adjustment. I recommend it even if you don't hear any ticking, simply for piece of mind. If you sucessfully rebuilt your carbs, you can adjust your valves. You need a .004" narrow feeler guage, and either the factory Suzuki valve setscrew holder, or a small pair of needlesose vicegrip pliers works good too. I had 17K on my engine, and most of my valves were ok, I had one loose valve, and one that was actually too tight for clearence.

Comment

Its an 82 1100gk, the noise it is making is a sort of chirping sound, and there is a little bit of a clacking sound.

I dont have a manual, but i copied the Valve adjustment pages out of a friends. After studying that for an hour or so and comparing the pictures to my actual bike, im pretty confident that i can do the adjustment. If i get in trouble ill let you guys know, thanks again.

-Bishop

Comment

Working...
          X