15-40?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15-40?

What do you gs's think of using 15\40 motor oil, in my gs850?

As long as it Shifts OK I'm sure it will be Fine.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

10W-40, 15W-40, and 20W-50 are all peachy keen. (Stick with 10W-40 if you regularly ride in below freezing temps...)

Lots of folks here swear by the 15W-40 oils intended for diesels, since they contain plenty of detergents and they are made for high-pressure, high-heat environments. Plus they're way cheap -- a gallon is about eight or nine bucks nowadays. I use this in my wife's Honda, and it seems to be the favorite among drag racers.

Golden Spectro (Semi-synthetic 20W-50, my personal fave for smoothing out shifting action. YMMV.) was up to $35 a gallon a few weeks ago, and here it is time to change the dratted oil yet again. Yoicks.

I found Castrol 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil for a measly $6 a quart at, of all places, Gander Mountain Sporting Goods. It was back in the ATV section. I'll report to the group if horrible things happen.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I am one of those who uses the 15w-40 oils intended for diesels. In fact, it is Shell Rotella 15w-40 Synthetic. They also make a "regular" oil version, which is in a white jug, so if you want the synthetic, make sure you get the BLUE jug. Oh, yeah, the easiest place to find it is at your closest Wal-Mart. I think the last gallon I got was about $15. It is not usually in the aisle with all the other oils, it is on the OTHER SIDE, over with the truck and RV stuff.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Rotella T and Mobil Delvac are pretty popular with guys on the other forum I frequent as well. (Maximum-Suzuki)....Stumbled upon a site I had never heard of before yesterday, which had TONS of great info on oil. www.motorcycle.info. It stated Rotella T synth 15w40, Mobil Delvac 1 Synth 15w40, and Mobil 1 SUV/Deisel 5w40 are excellent oil for bikes because CI-4+ rated oils have better viscosity retention...
          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

thanks

I just want thank everbody for the imfo about the oil dilemma it was greatly appreciated.:-D

Comment

I have been very pleased with

Castrol 20w-50 semi synthetic. I am hesitant to go with a full synthetic because of the wet clutch. I don't want oil that is too slippery. That having been said I know that many have not had any clutch problems with full synthetic. Isn't the Rotella full synthetic a 5w-40 oil?

Comment

Full syn is fine as long as it has no friction modifiers.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
                  I am one of those who uses the 15w-40 oils intended for diesels. In fact, it is Shell Rotella 15w-40 Synthetic.
                  the Rotella synthetic is NOT a 15w-40, it is a 5w-40. the dino version in the white jug is the 15w version.

Comment

Working...
                  X