tranforming a gs550E into a gs550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tranforming a gs550E into a gs550L

I'm wondering if there are anyways to make my 1980 gs550E look more like a gs550L. Is it possible to swap the seats and tanks can I switch fenders stuff like that. Iknow what you'er all thinking Why didn't I just buy one but if you could all just indulge me and let me know what you think. also any one know where I can get lowering blocks for this bike.

The Frames are Different, I'm Pretty Sure that the Only Parts that interchange are The Drive trains. Wheels, Forks, as well as the Obvious Seat and Tank are All Different.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

wont work...

everything's different...
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Yep, not a simple parts swap.
        Interseting to see somebody wanting the L style \\/ . Usually its somebody trying to turn an L into an E. (They get the same answer you did :? .)

Comment

why why why why why why why

Comment

There's an L for sale around here that my buddy is thinking of buying. Perhaps he'll trade.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
              Yep, not a simple parts swap.
              Interseting to see somebody wanting the L style \\/ . Usually its somebody trying to turn an L into an E. (They get the same answer you did :? .)
              I thought that no one but old, crazy Kentukiens liked "L" models!:-D
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

i dont think the frames are that different. the geometry is the same. they just have different mounts and stuff. such as gas tank and seat. thats what i think because i converted my 79 gs750L into a base model, swapped tanks, and seats and such. i just had to weld on a rear tank mount and modify seat latch to other side. everything else is the same. so i think the 550 should frames should be very similar

Comment

the rise of the frame head tubes is different... throws everything off
                  1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Working...
                  X