How Clean? (kinda urgent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Clean? (kinda urgent)

I'm currently cleaning off old base-gasket remnants from my cylinder block, and am wondering how clean it should be.

I've been working at it for a few hours, and theres still no end in sight . The surface is pretty clean and smooth but theres still a lot of tiny patches of the old gasket. i know this can cause it to leak, but do i have to clean it 100%???

POOT

Originally posted by Poot
    I'm currently cleaning off old base-gasket remnants from my cylinder block, and am wondering how clean it should be.

I've been working at it for a few hours, and theres still no end in sight . The surface is pretty clean and smooth but theres still a lot of tiny patches of the old gasket. i know this can cause it to leak, but do i have to clean it 100%???

POOT
    Yes, because it is going to really p**s you of if it leaks when rebuilt!

I find after you have got through to the metal in places, a really sharp wood chisel used at the right angle, can finish the job.

I also made a scraper from a large carbide tool tip used in lathe and milling tooling. I brazed this to an old screwdriver. This works great for those last stubborn tiny bits of old gasket.

Footy.

Comment

thanks. seeing as i dont have any equipment, im going to solder a piece of exacto knife to a screwdriver which should make it easier l.

POOT

Comment

thanks. seeing as i dont have any equipment, im going to solder a piece of exacto knife to a screwdriver which should make it easier l.

POOT

Try a single edge razor blade, they cost about $10 for a box of 100 at most home improvement centers. Essential garage tool in my world.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

still not doing very much. heres a link to a picture:

It feels pretty smooth,, but theres still that tiny stuff. its taking a really long time.......and there are lots of nooks.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2006, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Yeah man, you gotta get all that crap off. It'll be worth it when you realize how great life is without all you time resulting in oil leaks. I grabbed a can of Permatex gasket remover. I'd spray some on, let it sit overnight, get up, scrape some off, spray some more on, go to work, come home, scrape some off, etc, for about 3 days.

Comment

Steel wool?

Comment

No. No steel wool. you could scratch the surface and cause leakage.
                I also use a razor blade (single edge) to scrape gaskets.
                Word to the wise...GO EASY when scraping. It is VERY easy to slip and gouge the surface..(been there done that) and have an awful gash that will leak....EVEN A LITTLE GASH WILL LEAK, if it's in the right place.
                No sand paper either, could too easily change the surface flatness.
                I like the idea of the gasket remover. :-D Tho I've never tried it.
                I've soaked mine w/olive oil for a few days...but this part takes time...
                .....Yeah Mikey, this could take days...
                Don't be in a rush, or you WILL regret it. !:shock: !
                Seriously.

Comment

No metal scraper if you can. Soak it with alittle pb blaster, mineral spirits, WD and find a hard piece of plastic for the scrapper if you can. Even a cut-off of PVC pipe will do, just needs a good clean edge. Dig out the credit card you don't need.... will be a fine sacrifice.:-D :-D As stated previous, don't gouge the surface.

ghwrenchit

Comment

alright....its exactly what i didnt want to hear, but i guess you're all right... \\/ \\/

Comment

alright....its exactly what i didnt want to hear, but i guess you're all right... \\/ \\/
                      I did mine with wd-40 and a wooden dowel rod sharpened to a flat shape like a screwdriver. You can be aggresssive and it doesnt scratch.Hey whatever works for ya man!

Comment

Poot,

I use the edge of lid from a soup can. Make sure it's a pull top can like soup or cat food. It's sharp enough to skim off the gasket crap, but not near as sharp as a razor or X-acto blade. You can still gouge the aluminum with it, but you have to get somewhat aggressive with it to do so.

Just hold the lid in your hand (with a glove so you don't get cut) and find the correct angle the produces the best results. I just did my valve cover and clutch covers this way with no gouging.

I have also used a freshly cut piece of acrylic (plexiglas), but it does not hold an edge for too long. Maybe six inches worth of scraping or so. I use acrylic every time I have to remove my parking decal or inspection stickers.

-Jon
                        16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                        13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                        78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                        Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                        02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                        12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                        82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

For little bits of gasket like your pic I normally use a small carborundum sharpening stone. Lay it flat on the surface. It's a gentle process that doesn't gouge the surface, but it can take some time for super-stuck-on pieces.

Comment

thats the thing....all thats left are the super-stuck on pieces.... it takes me a long time to clean a very small area....

Comment

I used WD40 and one of those Scotch-Brite abrasive pads. It won't scratch the metal, but takes the crud off.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X