Alternator case gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator case gasket?

I was replacing the gasket on my alternator case and I was wondering if I should use an RTV silicon on that gasket.
    Thanks

Don't use silicon on your bike. I just use and reuse good gaskets until they're toast, then I buy new ones.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I spent most of the day today replacing my stator; by far the hardest part has been dealing with the #$%^& cover. Very difficult to get off--finally got an impact driver, a great tool. Then the old gasket was baked onto the surface in many places; I wasn't sure how clean it needed to be, and should have waited and asked. I thought it was pretty good, but when I started it up it leaked like a sieve. So, drain the oil again, take it off, scrape more off. Then the new gasket got caught in the gears and ripped. I didn't want to wait several more days, so I thought I'd give it a try. I got it down to a very slight drip, which still ticks me off, but I don't know what to do.

The new stator works great, though! I just had no idea it would be so difficult. I've ordered a new gasket, so any suggestions about making this go more smoothly would be much appreciated.

Jim, St. Paul

Comment

Search

Oh, man....I just went throught the same stuff for the last couple of days. I asked for help, every step of the way, and got some wonderful advice from all the smart guys out there. My stator cover is on and everything is perfect. I also had a horrid leak yesterday which I thought odd considering how careful I was.

Do a search for "stator gasket replacement".....things like that, in combination, and you'll learn everything you ever will need to know.

As a matter of fact, just look at my own posts for the last several days and you'll learn a great deal based on the help I've received from the experts on this forum......

This forum is a WONDERFUL resource!![-o<
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 06-12-2006, 12:45 AM.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Where a gasket was not available, I have used the silicone with little problem.

(made the gasket from a cereal box )

Smooth it on with a finger tip so that you get a thin, even, coating and then let it set for an hour or more before installing.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X