Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to GS and site-carb question-bb in carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to GS and site-carb question-bb in carb?

Greetings GS lovers. I am new to the site and the GS. I recently acquired (for free) a 1978 GS1000-sorry, don't know the exact model. It is black with a white stripe and gold and orange pin stripes. Does anyone know this model offhand?

The bike has good compression and spark, but the carbs are a complete mess: solid gas, hard o-rings, gaskets, etc. I have two questions: with the float bowl off, the number 3 carb has a bb in one of the two holes in the carb under the float. Any ideas? Also, my jets, screws, etc. are in good condition. Is there a gasket and o-ring kit available without all the new jets? Just trying to save a few bucks.

I was a snowmobile and jet ski mechanic in a former life, and this is my first bike project so all help is appreciated. I really want to get this bike rolling. I love classic bikes and I was unsure at first about the GS, but the looks have really grown on me. Plus the price was right. I am hoping to get it running this summer and really get into it this winter with some more involved restoration work. Thanks.

There was just one model of the GS1000 in 1978 and that was the E which had the dual front disks and alloy wheels.

As far as the carbs go, there's an article in the Garage (see the home page) that covers the basics of rebuilding the VM type carbs.

A GSR member sells very nice o-ring kits for the carbs at a very reasonable price at http://www.cycleorings.com/

No idea about the bb. I think they used things like that to plug holes, so you might compare #3 with the others.

Good luck

Comment

#3 carb is the only one with the bb. All I can figure is that it was installed to regulate fuel flow in that carb, maybe due to the fuel line proximity that carb would flood. I dunno. It's staying in though, that is for sure.

Thanks for the info. I'm order parts today for my "E" model and getting to work.

Comment

BB in #3 carb

I have the same bb in carb #3 I think it's to make it the vacuum line for the fuel petcock. Make suur you do a fuel height for all carbs. On mine #1 and #4 carbs had almost no gas in the float bowls. I also got my soldering gun out and solved my electric problems by soldering ALL factory electric connections, the male and female connections where they attach to the wires. There was enough dirt and filth inside the connections to reduce contacts.

Comment

Working...
        X