GS1100ED oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ED oil leak

I had an oil leak where the head bolted to the cylinder. The leak appeared to be in the area where the timing chain comes through the cylinder and the head in the front of the motor, right where the bolt goes up through the top of the cyl and the bottom of the head. Has anyone else had this happen? I tore the motor down and there was oil in between the cylinder and head. The bike ran great. The only reason I tore it down was to fix the leak and put valve seals in it. The bike only shows 38,000 and the inside of the motor looks new. Thanks

That is one of the first places that leaks start at on these bikes, a couple other spots are the cam chain tensioner gasket, and the cam end plugs.

A lot of the oil leaks from the head, base, and cam cover gaskets can be prevented by routinely checking the torque on the engine bolts, especialy the head bolts, my manual calls for retorqueing the head bolts every 4,000 miles or 12 monthes. unfortunatly most people dont do it.

Comment

i envy you for having only one oil leak

Comment

oil leak

I didn't even think about the timing chain tensioner. But when the bike was running you could see the oil coming from where the head and the cylinder joins together right by the bolt inthe front of the motor. I tried torquing that bolt and it didn't help. So I just tore her down. The head nuts didn't act like they were torqued right either. 8)

Comment

Working...
        X