Front brake/brake light trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake/brake light trouble

The brake light on my 81 gs450e will not come on when using my front brake (works fine with the rear brake) unless I squeeze it all the way in then let it out to about midway and hold it there. I've had this problem since I got the bike, but I would like to get it fixed.

When I got the bike inspected, the tech told me that those switches often have trouble and there wasn't much I could do about it. However, I figured if there were any place I could find a remedy to this problem, it would be here.

I just need some advice on where to start.

Thanks,

-charles

Originally posted by prefect
    The brake light on my 81 gs450e will not come on when using my front brake (works fine with the rear brake) unless I squeeze it all the way in then let it out to about midway and hold it there. I've had this problem since I got the bike, but I would like to get it fixed.

When I got the bike inspected, the tech told me that those switches often have trouble and there wasn't much I could do about it. However, I figured if there were any place I could find a remedy to this problem, it would be here.

I just need some advice on where to start.

Thanks,

-charles
    The fix that would be simplest is a switch that replaces the banjo bolt and works off brake fluid pressure. I believe K&L makes them and you see them on Ebay. You may be able to clean the contacts on the stock switch and do a little adjusting to get it working right. Be careful taking it apart though, there are small parts that can easily get lost.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2006, 04:27 PM.

Comment

It's actually K&S. Here's a link to one. I believe Suzuki uses one with a 1.00mm thread pitch though.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYDRA...spagenameZWDVW

Comment

plate

I'm sure what Billy has suggested is the best way to fix it but, in the meanwhile, you might try loosening the little screws that hold the little plate in place. You can slide it back and forth to adjust the tension necessary to make it go off and on. You may just need a minor adjustment. It will only take a couple of minutes to find out!:-D
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

A replacement sliding-plate switch (same style as OEM) that doesn't require you to open up the brake line costs $9 plus shipping, and is available at

third down on the page.

You can try cleaning the contacts, just don't lose the little slider inside the switch, but often it's the metal itself that's worn down.

Comment

I recently replaced the brakeswitch at the handle, with an european alternative to the K+S hydraulic switch.
            I works perfect - I placed it at the "T" splitting the brakelines to the two frontcalipers. By doing so, I even got rid of a cable at the handlebar.
            The banjo pitch for GS is M10x1.0 (Most other Japanese bikes seems to have pitch 1.25 - but not the GS).

Stig
            77 GS550B

Comment

Working...
            X