Help, my GS650G just died!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, my GS650G just died!

Hello again. After getting my rear tire changed today I was riding it home. It seemed to be struggling to accellerate for a bit in each gear, but then the throttle would suddenly catch. I had driven it 160 mi on the primary tank already so I kinda assumed I was running out of gas. When I pulled into the left turn lane to my neighborhood the bike died. No problem, this from time to time when the choke is off. I set the choke and tried again. nothing. I switched to my reserve tank and tried again. Sometimes it would turn over, but then I would give it some gas and it would die. After sitting in the turnlane and trying to start it for about 5 min. I decided just to role it through and coasted down the hill to my neighborhood (thank goodness there was a hill).

After parking it on the street I kept trying different combinations of choke/reserve/primary and nothing worked. Eventually it didn't even want to try and turn over (just a click). I walked home grabbed a gallon of gas and poured it in. Still nothing.

Any ideas? I'm still on the first 160 mi. for this bike since I got it, and haven't done much besides replacing the rear wheel and choke cable and putting two quarts of oil in her (there's a leak someplace). Thanks!

If you did run it out of gas maybe your carb bowls are empty. Suck on your vacuum line running to your petcock on prime and let your bowl fill and cross your fingers. Also, charge your battery.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It sounds like you may have killed the battery trying to start it. That's going to be your most immediate problem. I'd go get a battery tender and hook it up as your first step.

The intermittent dying could be a lot of things. The bike could be out of gas. The carbs could be all gunked up from sitting around for two years before you bought it. The charging system could be dead or dying. You could have loose coil connections.

What was the history of the bike before you bought it?

Comment

Originally posted by jarhead122
        Hello again. After getting my rear tire changed today I was riding it home. It seemed to be struggling to accellerate for a bit in each gear, but then the throttle would suddenly catch. I had driven it 160 mi on the primary tank already so I kinda assumed I was running out of gas. When I pulled into the left turn lane to my neighborhood the bike died. No problem, this from time to time when the choke is off. I set the choke and tried again. nothing. I switched to my reserve tank and tried again. Sometimes it would turn over, but then I would give it some gas and it would die. After sitting in the turnlane and trying to start it for about 5 min. I decided just to role it through and coasted down the hill to my neighborhood (thank goodness there was a hill).

After parking it on the street I kept trying different combinations of choke/reserve/primary and nothing worked. Eventually it didn't even want to try and turn over (just a click). I walked home grabbed a gallon of gas and poured it in. Still nothing.

Any ideas? I'm still on the first 160 mi. for this bike since I got it, and haven't done much besides replacing the rear wheel and choke cable and putting two quarts of oil in her (there's a leak someplace). Thanks!
        Put fresh gas in it,clean your plugs then make sure your air filter is clean and sealed properly. You could have an air leak somewhere. Do you have a clymers manual or anything? If the bike has been sitting you might need to clean the carbs.Putting it on prime will fill the bowls.Make sure you have no obstuction in your carb air lines.Let us know how its doing after you fill up.

Comment

Well, after filling her up and giving her a jump start she's running fine. I guess as a new rider I didn't recognize the signs of running low on fuel and switched to reserve too late. Then I guess I killed the battery when I tried to start her up again. Live and learn. Thanks for your help!

Jared

Comment

Originally posted by jarhead122
            Well, after filling her up and giving her a jump start she's running fine. I guess as a new rider I didn't recognize the signs of running low on fuel and switched to reserve too late. Then I guess I killed the battery when I tried to start her up again. Live and learn. Thanks for your help!

Jared
            If it ever happens again use the prime function on the petcock to fill the carb bowls before trying to start the bike.

Comment

Working...
            X