Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS 1100 G Carb Adjustment - Newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS 1100 G Carb Adjustment - Newbie!

Hello All,

Great posts here on your site. I have been reading them for months now
    and they convinced me to recently buy a 1982 1100 G. The bike is great
    and I really like it. The only thing is that it backfires on engine braking.

After searching the archives it seems to me to likely be an air/gas mixture
    issue. I have extremely limited mechanical experience but would like to
    make the adjustment if it is reasonable for a newbie to do so. Can anyone
    give me their opinion on the likely solution and a newbies probability of
    doing it?

Thanks a million

Tony

Just a few more details on the problem. There is a popping crackling,
    not an extreme backfire but sometimes it is louder than others. It only
    happens when I let off the gas and the engine brakes. If I gun it and
    then hit the clutch, the backfiring stops...

Comment

Sounds like a textbook lean condition most likely caused by bad intake o-rings:

The problem:

The solution:

(Please note that the procedure shown is correct, but your part numbers will be different.)

Also, make sure the airbox is properly sealed. There are foam seals under the airbox side covers that every GS owner has needed to replace with weatherstripping.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The bike is basically stock with the original exhaust. Changing the O-Rings sounds pretty involved. Could it be something easier like adjusments to
          the air pilot screws?

Comment

I would say that while it could possibly be intake o-rings the most likely culprit are your exhaust gaskets.

Decceleration "pops" generally can be remedied by replacing the exhaust gaskets. More than likely you have stock gaskets under your stock pipes. It is a simple fix and it won't take much $ for new ones. In addition, it is an easier fix than the intake o-rings [taking off the pipes is easier than taking off the carbs if the machine has the original air-box]. Also, if the new exhaust gaskets fix the problem you won't have to worry about the re-sync of the carbs.

Of course, if the new exhaust gaskets don't do the trick it will be time to attack the other (intake) side.

Comment

It could honestly be anything that creates those symptoms. I guess
              I should take a look at the plugs to see what color they are?

Comment

Working...
              X