Drive Shaft Thread Size for 1977 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive Shaft Thread Size for 1977 GS550

Does anyone know or have any way to find out what the bolt/thread size is for the GS550's drive shaft? I just need to replace the nut and I didn't have any luck on my first trip to the hardware store. Are these standard sizes or some proprietary Suzuki size? I have the part on order, but it'll give me about a week more of riding time if I can do this. I'll even settle for a different, even more ingenious solution. Remember, this is only a temporary solution, I will have the real deal in about a week.

Thanks.

-pk

Originally posted by pkluss
    Does anyone know or have any way to find out what the bolt/thread size is for the GS550's drive shaft? I just need to replace the nut and I didn't have any luck on my first trip to the hardware store. Are these standard sizes or some proprietary Suzuki size? I have the part on order, but it'll give me about a week more of riding time if I can do this. I'll even settle for a different, even more ingenious solution. Remember, this is only a temporary solution, I will have the real deal in about a week.

Thanks.

-pk
    ??? What drive shaft are you talking about? 550s were all chain drive.

Comment

Hmm, I guess I don't know what to call it. I'm just going by what it's called in the schematic. I mean, it's the shaft that drives the chain...

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...ame~GS550B.asp (part 17)

I'm pretty sure it's a 20mm bolt, but the threads look much smaller than anything I can find at the hardware store. Am I SOL until my official parts arrive?

-pk

Comment

Well, take a lookee there...drive shaft. OK, technically I reckon that's right. Nobody calls it that, though.

I think you're going to be stuck waiting for that nut. I had a friend that lost his on a later 550 model and was unable to find a replacement locally. He ended paying $16 to the dealer for one. BB has got a great price on it. That is some consolation. Don't happen to have a bike junkyard/breakers near you do you? If you are able to find a nut make sure it's an exact fit. The last thing you want to do is crossthread or strip those shaft threads. Hope you ordered a tab type lockwasher for it too.

Comment

Kawasaki countershaft nuts will fit as well.

Comment

Fortunately didn't lose the lockwasher, just the nut. I've got it on order from BikeBandit, but it still hasn't shipped. How does OEM work? Surely Suzuki isn't still operating plants that pump out parts for bikes of yesteryear...is there just a massive stockpile of parts somewhere that gets forwarded to distributors on demand?

As far as the Kawasaki countershaft nuts go...are we talking any model Kawasaki? And for that matter, any model Suzuki? I see no reason why they would change it, but I've been wrong before. If they're all the same, I may have a shot of heading down to the local parts store and getting one right away, no?

-pk

Comment

KZ's and GPZ's for sure. I had mine spin off and ended up getting a Kaw nut locally when they didn't have a Suzuki nut in stock.

Comment

Doesn't hurt to try. See if you can explain your situation to one of the mechanics, sted of the parts guy. It's amazing what some of those dudes can pull out of a tool box. :shock:

Comment

Working...
                X