Brake light only engages under HARD braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light only engages under HARD braking

81 gs650e. Just got the bike last week. Only safety issue I have found is that the brake light only engages under very hard pressure from the front or rear brake. Anyone have a fix?

Originally posted by tsc
    81 gs650e. Just got the bike last week. Only safety issue I have found is that the brake light only engages under very hard pressure from the front or rear brake. Anyone have a fix?
    The rear brake switch is adjustable. It has a threaded section with a plastic nut on it. Screw the nut further down the threads until just slight pressure activates the light. The front switch is a bit testier. If you look up under the brake lever you will see a pair of wires going into the brake switch. You can loosen the two screws and try adjusting it. If that doesn't work a hydraulic brake switch is the easiest fix up front. Usually under $20 on Ebay.

Comment

Thanks ! I'll try that after work tomorrow and see if it fixes it.

Comment

If, for some reason, the rear brake switch can not be moved enough to adjust it, you can improvise by using needle-nose pliers to make a Z-bend in the wire from the pedal to the switch. That will take up some of the slack and make the lights come on sooner. If you bend it too far, you can straighten it out some to correct it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The parts in the front brake switch are easy to lose and often corrode. Fortunately, you can get new switch guts:

Third item down on this page:

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X