Ceramic Heat Treating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceramic Heat Treating

It seems all the racers these days are using the new ceramic coatings. The two step coating on the pistons and coating on the valve stems. This is supposed to reduce engine operating temps and increase friction. This of course translates into more power. They also use a heat resistant powder coat on the engine cases, cylinders and head that simulates the original finish. Of course, the headers are also coated inside and out to reduce temp and is said to give you a couple of extra horsepower. Has anyone used these products on their bikes? They don't seem that expensive. Do they work well? What are the benefits? The drawbacks? If you've done it are you happy?
    Please give me the benefit of your expertise!!
    Thanks, Paul

I'm sure there are people out there who have used ceramic coating!!

IS ANYONE OUT THERE??????

Paul

Comment

I have not got anything ceramic coated on my bikes yet, I do know that ceramic coated headers adds horse power as to the rest of the engine no idea. May I suggest you go towww.dragbike.com and search there forum they would be better able to answer this question, if you do any good please let us know.
      Dink

Comment

Like many others, I find dragbike.com rather intimidating. The racers there are all seasoned pro racers. For many, bike racing is their livelihood. A while ago I saw a post there on " what is your tow rig." Well these guys all had brand new "dually" pick-up trucks extended cab loaded to the hilt. Their trailers were huge too, fifth wheels with built in workshops, room for 8 bikes, living quarters, satellite navigation systems, their own zip code and a Pizza Hut franshise in the rear. OK, maybe I'm kidding about the last thing. But here I am with my 7 yr. old minivan and my 6x12 single axle trailer. That's the difference between these 2 sites. I think I'm more representative of the average racer and feel much more "at home" here than any other site.
        I know many of my fellow GS'ers also race, so therefore I hoped to get an answer here on the ceramic coating question.

Thanks, for listening to me bitch
        Paul

Comment

Re: Ceramic Heat Treating

Originally posted by nasty
          This is supposed to reduce engine operating temps and increase friction.
          Piston and valve coatings are to reduce piston and valve temperatures, which keeps more heat in the expanding gasses which should raise your thermodynamic efficiency. Piston skirt coatings are to reduce friction between the skirt and the cylinders during side loading. Coating the exhaust keeps the heat in the exhaust gasses, raising temps, lowering density, keeping velocity up but keeping the pipes themselves cooler. This is especially great for cars/trucks because it keeps underhood temps down by a significant amount. None are going to give huge gains, but the internal coatings will help reliability as well as increase power.

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Nasty or anyone else.

I am looking for someone to coat an old header that I have in my garage. I was contemplating sending it to Jet Coat, but do you know of a place that will do it in the Toronto area.

Roman

Comment

jet coat

My father had a pipe coated by jet coat, but it was not for performance reasons (it was on a 48 Indian Chief). The finish came out nice, it is not as shiny as original chrome, but it will never turn blue. To me that is the big advantage of coating something like a pipe.

Comment

Hey Roman,
                I know of 2 in your area.

Fireball Coatings
                Shelburne, Ont.
                (519-925-6342)
                Our custom powder coating company in Ontario helps ensure your car parts resist damage and work efficiently. We provide quotes for our coating services.

Cambridge Powder Coat
                Cambridge, Ont.
                (519-653-8136)
                e-mail-cambridgepc@execulink.com

Paul (nasty)

Comment

Thank you.

Roman

Comment

Working...
                  X