Black plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black plugs

My 77 GS750's plugs are fouling bad after one 3 mile ride... I can't even start it...

I was told the carbs were done as I just bought it... any other ideas?

It looks like you might have to check your mixture settings, no matter what you were told when you bought it.

Check the choke knob, cable, and operating rod in front of the carbies. It might be fouling on something and holding the enrichener circuit open.

Do a compression test, it might be sucking oil through bad rings or down worn valve stem seals. Does is blow smoke? Smoke on start-up is a sign of leaking valve stem seals, smoke all the time is a sign of worn rings.

Does it smell oily to people riding behind you? Oil can foul your plugs just as rich fuel/air mixture can, and the smell is a bit of a give away.

Are all plugs fouling equally? This might suggest you check a particular carby etc.

Comment

Ditto above, you might check your points for proper gap and that they are not pitted. Check timing as well. Weak spark will foul your plugs. Air filter could be plugged. Have some extra spark plugs on hand. Once those plugs foul badly sometimes they won't fire again.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2006, 08:29 AM.

Comment

black plugs (dry, not oily)

I checked my plugs and they had a thin black haze (carbon?) to them which cleaned up with a rag very easily, but they were dry (no oily residue at all), what would this mean. What should I check/replace etc. its not normal either right?

==================================================
        1979 GS1000E

"NEVER MESS WITH A GS"
        "The less you know, the more you believe."
        "We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong."

Comment

Yep, they are carbon fouling. Most likely a spark issue. Replace your wires and caps, they are the most probable cause. Beyond that... well, I don't wanna frighten you.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I love a good Horror story...

Originally posted by Jethro
            Yep, they are carbon fouling. Most likely a spark issue. Replace your wires and caps, they are the most probable cause. Beyond that... well, I don't wanna frighten you.

Please do, I like to be frightened...I'd rather know the whole picture and all possible problems than not know and think its all OK if I just replace my wires/caps...which btw are the original ones I think (I guess they could have been replaced at some point with an identical part since the bike has 38,000km.

==================================================
            1979 GS1000E

"NEVER MESS WITH A GS"
            "The less you know, the more you believe."
            "We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong."

Comment

Working...
            X