I need help with a non GS problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just aquired a yamaha xs650 and it is way too high for me and my son. it has standard shoe type brakes on the back. we have already used shorter shocks and slid the tubes down an inch. i can pus the tubes down another inch easily. MY QUESTION IS has any one ever used lowering blocks and do they work ok. I never have used them or even seen a set on any bike

I have put them on bikes in the past and they worked fine but a shorter stiffer set of shocks is the right way to go

Comment

I passed an XS in the traffic yesterday...sounded more rattly and louder than the GS!!! But twins should be a bit mechanical......

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
        I passed an XS in the traffic yesterday...sounded more rattly and louder than the GS!!! But twins should be a bit mechanical......
        Its a noisy bugger especially with a 2 into one megaphone but i cannot sit on it comfortably because of the height.The japs must have made these things for the norwegians.

Comment

hey scotty, when you talk about putting the tubes dowm a inch ive never heard of this can you give me some more details thanks, John.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
            hey scotty, when you talk about putting the tubes dowm a inch ive never heard of this can you give me some more details thanks, John.
            I said it backwards . I am not simon after all What i did and there is not room to do this on all bikes is--I loosened the fork tubes and slid them upward toward the handle bars. Remember that this may change the way the bike handles--I dont care BECAUSE I ONLY PUSH MY BIKE IN A STRAIGHT LINE AND GO THROUGH CURVES QUITE SLOWLY. HOWEVER ON MY 1100.-LOWERING THE BIKE MADE IT HANDLE MUCH BETTER. It went from steering like a flat bottomed single engine house boat to responding extremly quickly.

Comment

scotty, can you post more pics of that xs?

Comment

Yam 650

Dear Mr Slopoke,
                Please try this link:www.micapeak.com/lists/YAM650
                I have an xs-2 yam and this site was very, helpful during it's restoration.
                A very good and similar forum as this is.
                Regards,
                Bilbo 8O

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
                  scotty, can you post more pics of that xs?
                  Right now rick the only photo of the Yammy i have is the one on this page--I just took it home yesterday and will have a page full of photos soon
                  Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

This was before i put the shorter shock and slid the tubes upward a bit

AND TO MR BILBO((so formal and polite those blokes) THANKS FOR THE LINK I WILL EXAMINE IT SHORTLY. HTTP://www.micapeak.com/lists/YAM650

Comment

Scotty,
                    I owned an XS650 for several years. I'm wondering if yours has been modified, as I'm an incredibly tall for my size 5'7" and never had any trouble getting both of my boots flat while sitting in the saddle (my V65 Sabre was another matter, but I learned to live with it's saddle height).
                    Even my first wife (5'4") could ride the bike comfortably....and neither one of us are particularly long-legged.
                    Scott

Comment

Re: I need help with a non GS problem

Originally posted by slstamper
                      Scotty,
                      I owned an XS650 for several years. I'm wondering if yours has been modified, as I'm an incredibly tall for my size 5'7" and never had any trouble getting both of my boots flat while sitting in the saddle (my V65 Sabre was another matter, but I learned to live with it's saddle height).
                      Even my first wife (5'4") could ride the bike comfortably....and neither one of us are particularly long-legged.
                      Scott
                      It is actually a bit lower than stock right now. If i was 5'4" I wouldnt need to lower the bike. My son is 5'2" so if i want to ride with him i must bring it lower.
                      BTW how far are you from BOONE N.C.

Comment

Scotty,
                        Would you believe it's an honest 3.5-4 hours to Boone from here. When I was stationed at Ft Bragg (Fayetteville NC) in the '80's, I would ride to visit friends in Hendersonville, which is not far from Boone. North Carolina is a wide state! The long ride from Fayetteville to Hendersonville was a great way to clear out the cobwebs. Let's see, I owned a Honda 750 Custom back then.......
                        Scott

Comment

Re: I need help with a non GS problem

Originally posted by slstamper
                          Scotty,
                          Would you believe it's an honest 3.5-4 hours to Boone from here. When I was stationed at Ft Bragg (Fayetteville NC) in the '80's, I would ride to visit friends in Hendersonville, which is not far from Boone. North Carolina is a wide state! The long ride from Fayetteville to Hendersonville was a great way to clear out the cobwebs. Let's see, I owned a Honda 750 Custom back then.......
                          Scott
                          the east west ride through the mountains was an eye opener for me 8O I have nothing but admiration for folks who can do those roads

Comment

Back to my original problem of the lowering blocks. I have taken a few photos of the bike if anyone cares to look at them and also one close up of the rear shock setup and i would appreciare any information about this type of shock and lowering blocks. I lookd on the sites that were recomended and wrote to a couple also. So far one recomended JC whitney???

Comment

Lowering Blocks

I'd like to take a look at those lowering block pics you have of your bike. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X