Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank Treatment With Rustol, Results

Hey,
    just got done with my first application of Rustol rust remover and inhibitor in my 82 GS 1100's tank. the same stuff thats been sold in Walneck's for the past few years (except now distributed by Sudco so the amount is smaller, 1 liter, and the price is higher, $50.00).
    power washed the tank with a little degreaser for good measure, second time i've done that. the amount of rust that still came out amazed me. left the fuel gauge sending unit intact, and the petcock. Rustco claims it will not harm rubber, gaskets, paint, etc. attacks just the rust. mixed the Rustol approximately eight parts to one, swished it around a bit and let the tank sit. shook it a couple of times over the next couple of hours then went to bed. got up this morning, worked out for a couple of hours, then went into the garage and drained the tank into a bucket. you would not believe the rust crap that came out! rinsed it out with a garden hose, now the tank is nice silver and shiny on the inside. don't know how it works, but brother does it. will do another application tonight, rinse tomorrow, let it cure for a couple of days then reintall it on my bike. i've used Kreme before, Muratic acid, Calcium Llime remover (CLR), etc, and nothing has worked this easy or this well before.
    i just saw the same stuff under another name sold in the latest Eastwood catalog (classic car resto stuff). they don't club you like a baby seal on the price either, $29.00 for a gallon! quite a savings. will let you know the final results a bit later.
    peace

thanks!

POOT

Comment

I have never worked on a tank but rinsing it with water when you are done? Aren't you starting the rust process again with the water? How about gas or kero?

Again, I am certainly not an expert but it seems kind of odd to me?

just my 2 cents...

Comment

I'm glad someone finally tried it. It's also reusable. I was tempted to order some last week but tried phosphoric acid which worked quite well.

Comment

no,
          the Rustol chemically reacts with the rust and turns it into some sort of inert coating. pretty cool.
          heres a pic of the rust it removed.
          peace.

Comment

Gas or Kero would leave a residue & not allow the solution to bond to the tank
            It will start to rust again if the coating process is not done

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
              Gas or Kero would leave a residue & not allow the solution to bond to the tank
              It will start to rust again if the coating process is not done
              By coating, you mean a sealer, like POR-15, or Kreeme?
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

for the gas and kero- I was thinking after the treatment was done in order to rinse it out.

Comment

Working...
                X