X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 gs450lh - carb rebuild?

Hi there everybody -

I was needing 2 things -

a carburetor rebuild kit, but I cant seem to find one specific to my bike. I am not sure if there is a generic one for my carbs? But, Im' not really sure.

The other thing, was about performance parts for my bike, specifically an exhaust.

Does anybody have any info regarding these things? i appreciate it, thanks in advance

martin

Hopefully you can rebuild your carbs with nothing more than O-rings. I was able to do 2 sets of carbs with only O-rings. Take your time and be careful removing the bowls and you should be able to reuse the floatbowl gaskets no problem. Most other parts probably won't need replacing, just cleaning.

About the only new aftermarket exhaust easily available for our 450's is the MAC 2-1. Its not really a performance part, but a replacement. Barring your imagination and access to a welder homegrown exhaust is up to you. The prev owner of my E welded car glasspacs onto the end of the pipes... Anything is possible, just making it work is a trial and error process. Not too many people out there hopping up 450s.

Comment

The newer GS500 pipes should work. You may have to work around the pegs but it shouldn't be a big deal making one fit.

Comment

Here's something that might help wake that puppy up.
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...spagenameZWD1V

Comment

will those gs500e cams be a direct bolt on for my gs450? are the lift/duration a lot better?

and thanks for the tip on the carb rebuild. im taking it apart this weekend. I purchased new intake orings, and I'll need to do some more trouble shooting of my high idle.

Martin Seidl

Comment

I want a throatier exhaust sound. for being a 450 it doesnt sound too "mopedish", but, from what i've seen its hard to find parts for it. I have welded before, so I've considered that. But I dont know anybody in the area with a welder.

I was thinking of just welding straight pipes off of it

but not sure if that would just make it sound too... ?

I dont want to hop it up so much, as a little bit more pick up would be nice and a better sound.

is it possible to fit the gs500 carbs to it also?

Comment

They should bolt right up but i'm not sure about specs. They could end up being exactly like yours but I suspect they are a little hotter based on hp figures between the two bikes. You can check out some of the major specs between the two models here, http://www.suzukicycles.org/ .

Here are a few exhausts on Ebay which is where I saw the cams.
              http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=gs500+exhaust

Another set of cams.
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...spagenameZWD1V

Comment

No reason a newer set of 500 carbs shouldn't bolt on. Whether or not they will work better than stock is debatable.

Comment

Messin' around with mods to increase a 450 engine's power is just not worth the slight gain you MIGHT get - if you get anything at all.
                  In fact, it is highly likely that going to straight pipes will lead to a jetting nightmare and lower power than stock.
                  Going to a 2-into-1 aftermarket pipe that is made for the bike (not "straight" pipes) is relatively safe, and will not require re-jetting (if they are properly sealed to the head - no exhaust leaks). They sound slightly "throatier".
                  For some perceptible power increase you should get a 750 or higher.

Comment

well, i'm not super interested in my bike. just want to make it a wee bit cooler for the short time i will have it. the only reason I bought it was for a beginner bike. my next bike(debating on when to get it, if i buy it this season in a month or so, or get it next season) but if i get it next season I'll want to do something else to the bike. i know its just a 450 and no matter what i do to it, it'll still be a 87 gs450 not that its a bad bike. im just craving a lot more. so, my next bike will probably be a gsxr750 or a ducati monster.

Comment

forget the whole thing! im just drilling holes into my exhaust haha, thats a joke.

Comment

If you are planning on getting rid of it rather soon, why bother butchering it? For the short amount of time that you say you want to have it, I would just put up with whatever sound it makes and concentrate on getting to be a better rider. The next person to own it might not appreciate the throatier exhaust, and you might lose a sale because of it.

Just my two cents, and I expect change!
                        sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X