X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

72 miles to a tank of gas.

Here's the story...

What I did...

I Pulled the carbs off, stripped them down, dipped them and reassembled them. I put the mixture screw back to 1 1/2 turns out. I didn't mess with the needle setting. I did a bench synch.

What it is doing...

My 1983 GS1100GL got a wopping 72 miles to one tank of fuel. I just put an engine in the bike. It will start without the enriching lever but I have to feather the throttle to keep it running. I can smell that it is running rich. Now once it gets warmed up the idle will fluctuate up and down, with about a 1000 rpm range. Now most of the time that is an air leak at the intake boots. I have sprayed WD-40 and Carb cleaner while it is idleing with no change. While on the road the bike runs great.

What I want...

I want to get the mixture correct, fuel economy up, and warm up time down.

What I think...

I think I need new intake boots. I think that I need a clymer book for it.
    I think the needle is set incorreclty.

Please help.

Did you get the needle spacers in the right place above and below the E-clip?

Comment

It's been a long time since I had the CVs on my bike but I believe the order from the bottom up on the needle is; spring, washer, e-clip, and then a thick plastic spacer over the clip. Have you tried adjusting the mixture screws? If closing them down improves things you either need to go to a smaller pilot jet or get new mixture screws in the stock size. You more than likely have worn out mixture screws if closing the mixture screws down improves things.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I did notice that some of them had black tips. I am going to use some hose clamps to get the carb boots nice and tight.

I don't know if this add anything to the issue but, I don't have any clamps for the air filter side of the carbs.

It's a complete stock intake and exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by ihalterman
          I don't know if this add anything to the issue but, I don't have any clamps for the air filter side of the carbs.

It's a complete stock intake and exhaust.
          It can be critical to ensure that the stock airbox is clamped and sealed up tight. Air leaks on the filter side will effect the vacuum to the slides.

ghwrenchit

Comment

72 miles per tank ain't too bad if you have a one gallon tank!

Comment

Make sure your carb floats are set to the right level. I have a '92 GSX1100 G and was getting 30-32 MPG and couldn't figure out what was wrong for the longest time. Eventually it fouled out the #1 plug and I found the float level in that carb about a 1/4" higher than it was supposed to be. Now I'm getting 40-45 MPG and that was just one of the four.

jason

Comment

Always double check your bench-set float heights using clear tubing attached to the floatbowl drains.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                  Always double check your bench-set float heights using clear tubing attached to the floatbowl drains.
                  Explain please.

Comment

I don't know the specifics of how to measure, but by attaching clear hosing to the bowl drains and then looping it back up, you can visually see the float levels since the gas will travel down the tube and up again to the same point where it is equal to the level within the bowl... Someone else will have to explain the measurements

Comment

Working...
                    X