Jap import restrictions, Katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jap import restrictions, Katana

Hey guys, now I have a 1983 750 Katana that is a Jap import brought into new Zealand 5 yrs ago.
    Now from what I have learnt the import is down on power compared to the NZ new model... so were are the power restrictions? I'm thinking cams and carbs, if so how do they differ?
    As I am planning on racing this bike in post classics I wouldnt mind getting a bit more power out of it... cheers all

come on guys some one must know... how about some of the US modles, some were restricted in HP wernt they or was that the Canadian bikes?

Comment

It was usually cam profiles that made most of the difference in hp numbers. It would take some digging but I have a magazine or two that detailed the differences. The trouble is I probably have a thousand bike mags I'd have to dig through. An internet search may be the easiest way to find out.

Comment

The big question is,

What does the class allow in terms of modifications?

You can always get different carbs and cams for more power
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T
          The big question is,

What does the class allow in terms of modifications?

You can always get different carbs and cams for more power
          As long as the parts were in production befor Dec 82 then its sweet, racing here is all about fun, theres a guy that races a 85 750E in post classic, I dont cear as long as hes having fun.
          I have some one looking at the carbs next week so with any luck they will be salvagable.

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          It was usually cam profiles that made most of the difference in hp numbers.
          ohhh, hey thanks for that, A mate has a pair of cams from a NZ new Kat that I can have at a reasonble price... so was hopeing to hear that.

Comment

That thing looks awesome!
            I want one.

Comment

Working...
            X