needle adjustment on CV carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

needle adjustment on CV carbs

Hello, I could most likely do with a bit of help. Let's see, 82 GS850G, CV carbs, I have light colored spark plugs except on number 1, which is way rich. So, I have the carbs apart, and they actually look pretty clean. I am taking them all apart, putting in new o-rings etc., and dipping the body and bits in carb cleaner (Gunk).
    Question is, could I change the needle height? It has these little plastic spacers, and if I replace them on the other side of the e-clip, the needle would be, well, 1/8th or so higher. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Oh, and by the way, I did get the intake boots off. Someone on here suggested using the bit from an impact driver with a socket wrench, and man did that work!

Thanks,
    Peter

If you place that spacer under the clip it's going to make the bike pretty rich. Just replacing the o-rings may richen things up a tiny bit just by getting rid of minor air leaks. I'd put them back together the way they are supposed to be and adjust the mixture screws before I'd play with the needles.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
      If you place that spacer under the clip it's going to make the bike pretty rich. Just replacing the o-rings may richen things up a tiny bit just by getting rid of minor air leaks. I'd put them back together the way they are supposed to be and adjust the mixture screws before I'd play with the needles.

Will do, thanks! So, is three full turns out from seated on the air screws standard? That's what they were set at (by air scerw, I mean the little screw on the engine side, that consists of the screw, spring, washer and o-ring. Is this the thing that may be a fuel flow screw instead, according to that great PDF file by John Bloemer?).

Cheers,
      Peter

Comment

It's not actually an air screw, it's a mixture screw for lower rpm's, idle to just off idle. 3 turns is getting a little out there. After 4 turns you're pretty much off the jet. A good carb cleaning and o-ring replacement would probably take care of your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by soeren
          Hello, I could most likely do with a bit of help. Let's see, 82 GS850G, CV carbs, I have light colored spark plugs except on number 1, which is way rich. So, I have the carbs apart, and they actually look pretty clean. I am taking them all apart, putting in new o-rings etc., and dipping the body and bits in carb cleaner (Gunk).
          Question is, could I change the needle height?
          Don't play with the jet needles. Find out why #1 is richer than the others.
          Your carb cleaning may help. Be sure the air jets are clean at the filter side. Check needle jets for being very clean. Check the float level. If you don't know the bikes past, verify all jets are the same in all carbs. Check mixture screw settings. Bench synch and then vacuum tool synch.
          Also check #1 plug lead and plug cap for cracking or poor/dirty connections. If the plug is badly carbon stained, replace it. Check the gap.
          Be sure the rich plug is just from a rich mixture. Do you see any oil on it? Is it a shiny black? Does it dry completely or still look sticky?
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

oh my

I finished the carb cleaning, and she runs like a bat out of hell!
            I think it might have mostly been due to the carb manifold o-rings, but don't really know as I did everything at the sme time. It has more power now than while I've had her, and man does she go. I wish I had a nice cop free strertch of free way to see what I can make her do, but for now I am enjoying all the xtra pull.

Thanks for all you'se help. I left the needles as suggested, and all is well. it even pulls cleanly at really low rpms.

Thanks again!

ps. I'll have to see if spark plugs are better now etc. when i get a chance.

Comment

Working...
            X