Clutch chatter? Maybe, maybe not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch chatter? Maybe, maybe not.

I’m new to GSR and what a great site and great bunch of people.

I’ve recently purchased a ’80 GS1000G and I’m having what I believe to be clutch chatter/rattle but I’m not sure.

At low RPM’s with a load i.e. engaging the clutch at take off it makes a chattering noise, it will also do it if I’m bogging a little while accelerating at slow speeds in too high a gear. The clutch doesn’t slip at all but I haven’t really gotten on it (yet:-D ), but under normal riding it doesn’t slip.

The one thing I’m wondering about is when I first got the bike I noticed the oil level was a little low so I added some oil but I over did it a little and now the level may be a little high. Could this be causing my problem? The other thing that comes to mind might be the cam chain rattling.

I want to be sure I’m not doing any damage and/or is this something to worry about. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Steve

Are you sure it's not just a knock caused by a lean fuel mixture? Try a little high octane and see if it goes away.

Comment

I can't hear the noise, so it's difficult to diagnose, but too much oil is a bad thing. What happens is the the crank whips the oil to a froth. The air bubbles in the oil decrease it's effectivness as a buffer and you get engine damage.

Drain some of it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
        Are you sure it's not just a knock caused by a lean fuel mixture? Try a little high octane and see if it goes away.
        Well that's simple enought to try. I'll see what happens.

Thanks,
        Steve

Comment

The clutch packs on these bikes are notorious for rattle at low rpms and speeds. What is your idle set at? Some folks have to keep it adjusted even higher than the manual suggests to avoid the rattle on take off.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            The clutch packs on these bikes are notorious for rattle at low rpms and speeds. What is your idle set at? Some folks have to keep it adjusted even higher than the manual suggests to avoid the rattle on take off.
            It's idling at 1500. I did notice last night while the choke was still on at about 2500 rpm it doesn't make the rattle. You might be on to something. What would be a good, higher than spec idle?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by hunter58
              It's idling at 1500. I did notice last night while the choke was still on at about 2500 rpm it doesn't make the rattle. You might be on to something. What would be a good, higher than spec idle?

Steve
              1500 is about as high as you should go. Normally you want them idling much lower, 1000-1200 range. The fact that it didn't make the noise with the choke on makes me think it may very well be a lean condition. Try the higher octane and see if it helps. If it does then you can fool with the mixture screws to try to remedy the problem.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2006, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Yep, I'm thinking lean as well now. 1500 is too high already, you run the risk of overheating in traffic with that idle.

Not sure about the 1980 1000G, but my 1100E is speced at 1050rpm +/- 100 rpms.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I also have a low rpm rattle in the clutch. I'd like to take it apart and have a look see. My lever pull is very hard. Could a PO have put in stronger clutch springs?

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy
                    I also have a low rpm rattle in the clutch. I'd like to take it apart and have a look see. My lever pull is very hard. Could a PO have put in stronger clutch springs?
                    If it ever got rebuilt it was pretty common to use heavy duty springs.

Comment

Thanks Billy. I don't mind it, but guys checking out my bike always comment on it.

Comment

have you synced the carbs lately?I did mine and almost all the rattle went away and it runs and idles alot smoother.It also could be cam endplay.Does it quit when you let the clutch out?

Comment

It's worse with the clutch out!

Comment

It's worse with the clutch out!
                            Have you taken the clutch cover off and looked to see if something has gotten loose?

Comment

Originally posted by hungryman
                              I can't hear the noise, so it's difficult to diagnose, but too much oil is a bad thing. What happens is the the crank whips the oil to a froth. The air bubbles in the oil decrease it's effectivness as a buffer and you get engine damage.

Drain some of it out.
                              Thanks for the advise on this. Once I got on level ground and put it on the center stand I found that it wasn't really overfull at all. It was just below the full line. I guess I wasn't holding the bike very level while trying to check it.

I don't want to add to the oil debate but I just got done changing the oil to Rotella 5w40, also the secondary and final drives as well. I just took a short spin and the noise is still there allthough it is substantially quiter. I'll report back after a few runs and see if there is any noticeable difference.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X