GS1100 Clutch Problem!! HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 Clutch Problem!! HELP

81 GS1100E Not going in to Neutral very well and occasionally hearing what sounds like some kind of spinning noise. I'm trying to put in some pics,dont know if this is going to work or not.Can anyone tell me what happened. Whatever happened I must have done when I changed the clutch. Everything is new. I have more pics but this seems to be all I can post.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2006, 09:27 PM.

That photo doesn't show much. It does look like something let go at one time.

Comment

Something must have but I dont know what. How can I post more than 1 pic?

Comment

1 Pic per post:-( Did you change just the friction plates, or the entire clutch? Sounds like either the main bolt needs to be tightened or your bearing is bad. Did you tighten your pressure plate bolts to just snug? Looks like you threw the notorious backing plate spring at one time.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

6-15-06
          Today I have put it all back together and grab ahold of the hub sleeve and everything is nice and snug. I grabbed ahold of the primary gear drive and can wiggle it back and forth. I thought maybe just the aluminum housing was moving but I grab the gear itself and the same thing. Anybody think that could be just the bearing, which is very loose fitting, or something else?
          Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2006, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ghainjr1
            Something must have but I dont know what. How can I post more than 1 pic?
            Ghainjri 1, go to photobucket.com and sign up there.That will let you link your photos for people to look at like I have here.

Comment

Thanks for the info TCONROY!! This is what I'm working on.
              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Anybody know where to get some good used or preferably new parts. Tried the Suzuki dealer and most of what I wanted will be backordered for 4-6 weeks.

Comment

Where is your backing plate that is supposed to be riveted to your driven gear?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

What do you mean, chef?

Comment

Come on guys, pictures! Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
                      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Originally posted by ghainjr1
                        Come on guys, pictures! Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
                        http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/ghainjr1/
                        I believe that when you put this back together that you didn't have the oil pump drive gear and the slots in the back of the clutch aligned. Looks like the thrush washer has a little blue color from heat. I have never seen a backing plate like the one you have but it looks like they did a nice job on it. If I were you, I would have the clutch hub checked for balance because of the nick that you have in it. Get some high volume oil pump gears to replace the damaged on that you show in the pictures and make sure that you follow the steps real close when you put it back together for the last time.With everything out of the case there is a washer that goes behind the oil pump drive gear spacer. Then install the oil pump drive gear and bearing with the notches looking towards you. Install the clutch hub without the bearings and line it up with the crank drive gear and here is where you have to make sure that the oil pump gear and the clutch hub lines up correctly. With that being done you install the clutch hub bearings and spacer with the oil groove facing inside. Install the clutch hub sleeve, lock nut washer and nut. Tighten and check to make sure that the inner hub spins freely and there is not too much play in the outer hub. Install the rest of the clutch plates and the pressure plate and springs and you should be good to go.

Comment

Thanks Gordon. I'll see what I can find. Thanks again.

Comment

Lots of worn parts. The gear with the dogs (primary drive) doesn't look good. The spacer is bad and who knows what else. The backside of your clutch basket looks wierd. Are springs behind those covers, or did someone eliminate the springs with bits of tube?

Looks bad to me.

Comment

Good to see you back Jeff. JGORDON is the man to listen to. He is a master of these machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X