No announcement yet.

GS1100 Clutch Problem!! HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would agree with all the recent comments about the clutch basket, i've never seem one like that before.

I'd change the oil pump drive cog (one with the the two lugs) and get one of the small 'cushions' that fit into the hole in the clutch basket where the oil pump fits to.

There should be a washer that goes on the main gearbox bearing, then the oil pump drive, then the clutch basket, bearing, spacer. The washer with the slot should go next, slot facing in towards the clutch basket. Then the inner basket, tab washer and nut! fit the plates and other bits job done.

If you start replacing parts such as the pump drive or the main basket check for play as later bikes had a small shim to give a set tolerance that was not present on the early models like yours.

Suzuki mad
    GS1000E 1981
    GSX1100ESD 1983 Fully functional (Boy it's quick!)

Comment

It appears to me like the clutch basket threw a spring out of the back of it. The spring damaged the pawl holder, the pawls and the pawl lifter piece. This will cause shifting problems. In any given gear, the pawls should be an equal distance from the center of the pawl holder. They appear to be off. Replace these parts for sure. Looks like the PO had the springs covered over to prevent a re-occurence. The damage to the outer edge of the basket should not cause any problem. After installing the center hub and before installing the clutch plates, push in and pull out on the basket to make sure it has some end play in it. This is a good way to determine if the parts are assembled correctly. You could at this time, crank the motor (with the plug wires off) to see if the basket runs true, as it may have been hammered when the spring came out the back. If the pawl assembly is the same as a GS 1000, I probably have a spare or two...........BadBillyB

Comment

This is the first time I've had everything out. I dont know if this is new or old damage. As for the springs, they are covered by what looks like a piece of tubing cut in half the long way and welded. Pawls are very chewed up along with the gear. I put it back together yesterday and rode it for awhile. It did just fine for about an hour then it started to make its noise again. The clutch felt good, like it did before I replaced it. I"m not sure how I didn't get it lined up right the first time but I did this time. Thanks for everyones help, I really appreciate it. Now its time to order parts and wait 4-6 weeks to get them.
        Thanks again, Greg

Comment

Originally posted by ghainjr1
          This is the first time I've had everything out. I dont know if this is new or old damage. As for the springs, they are covered by what looks like a piece of tubing cut in half the long way and welded. Pawls are very chewed up along with the gear. I put it back together yesterday and rode it for awhile. It did just fine for about an hour then it started to make its noise again. The clutch felt good, like it did before I replaced it. I"m not sure how I didn't get it lined up right the first time but I did this time. Thanks for everyones help, I really appreciate it. Now its time to order parts and wait 4-6 weeks to get them.
          Thanks again, Greg
          It's not cut in stone that you didn't get it lined up correctly the first time. You've got a bunch of worn parts that need replacement.

If the clutch spring fell out before, chances are that this bike's clutch was taking a beating. If the springs are good, there is no reason for a cover. In fact, it adds a bit of weight that you may not want (it likely unbalances the basket also).

I see that the basket has been welded also.

If it was me, I'd replace all the worn parts, order any that are missing (haven't seen your stack up), and either have new springs put in the basket, or get another and have it reworked. That would depend on the overall condition of it.

A set of 750 oil pump drive gears would be a nice addition.

Comment

The basket being welded looks like it was bought this way. It looks professional. Paint and all. I dont know what all is in this bike,it was bought this way.

Comment

Working...
            X